DPF or not?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've just had a pre-sale roadworthy done on my spanish built D40 2012 STX 550 and the guy has failed it because the DPF has been removed or blocked off. I had a chip added in 2016 but I can't imagine they removed the DPF during installation - that would be illegal. Does the guy know what he's talking about / did that model have a DPF?
Cheers.......GandJ

i'm not up on the 550 but i do see dpf delete kits available so i guess they must have a dpf.
a full delete kit is usually easy to see as its a normal pipe. but a smashed out dpf is harder to tell.

you can't "block it off" a dpf. they might have blocked off the egr.

are they doing an emissions test? ie probe up the exhaust pipe to test the exhaust gas?

Im pretty sure I have read somewhere on here that the 550's sold in the Australian and NZ markets dont actually have a DPF installed?

It's entirely possible that the 2012 STX550 had a DPF. As @tweak'e says, you can't block off the DPF - you can either replace it or hollow it out. Check: the DPF is a large device in the exhaust (like a muffler) but it will have two metal pipes coming out, and two electrical connectors - both the pipes and the connectors are on each end of the DPF (front and rear) to check flow rates. If yours is still there, he might have been talking about EGR ...

EGR is on the intake manifold, and it's been a common practice to block the EGR valve off. It's usually done by putting a blanking plate between the EGR pipe and the EGR valve. It's easy to remove - make sure you have a gasket in there (they sometimes replace the gasket with the blanking plate) and have some Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe Gasket Sealant handy.

Yes, they all
Im pretty sure I have read somewhere on here that the 550's sold in the Australian and NZ markets dont actually have a DPF installed?
That appears to be correct. They have the muffler, but it doesn't have the fuel feed. I am not sure what it does if it isn't a dpf.

My Spain Built D40 April 2011 STX which I have had since new does not have a DPF fitted. A work mate who had the sister 2011 ST Thai built apparently did. Twice in the past when booking into the Nissan dealer to have a major service done the pre-quote has been quite expensive however when picking my Nav up the actual cost was less due to the fact it didn't have a DPF (Oil and additives, e.t.c. are more expensive when a DPF is fitted) so it would appear even Nissan are unsure which of their models have a DPF. Looking to see if you have one or not seems to be the only way to confirm.

Gents, sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am genuinely confused.

I have a 2013 VSK D40, I honestly thought I have a DPF.

I checked under the car and believe it should be kind of under the passenger seat area? - Nothing there.

It hasn't been removed, it all looks very factory under the car, all I can see is a Cat coming off the back of the turbo, then 2.5 inch piping to a muffler in the rear.

**Does this sound right on where the DPF should be??

afaik the early d40's (yd25) only the auto in a few years had a dpf.
so more than likely yours never had one.

Thanks mate,

Just seems surprising that a newer model wouldn't have a DPF, mine is Auto as well (and YD25)

I definitely knew the manuals didn't have one

Gents, sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am genuinely confused.

I have a 2013 VSK D40, I honestly thought I have a DPF.

I checked under the car and believe it should be kind of under the passenger seat area? - Nothing there.

It hasn't been removed, it all looks very factory under the car, all I can see is a Cat coming off the back of the turbo, then 2.5 inch piping to a muffler in the rear.

**Does this sound right on where the DPF should be??
If it has the V9x engine with DPF, it will look like below.

Mine is a UK, it has a dpf and a fuel line feeding it.
Screenshot_2022-01-13-10-35-45-264_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

If it has the V9x engine with DPF, it will look like below.

Mine is a UK, it has a dpf and a fuel line feeding it.

Thanks mate, mine is the YD25..

The reason I'm kicking myself is that knowing its a 2013 model, you'd assume it has a DPF.

I even put a bottle of DPF clean in and did a manual regen on the bloody thing!!! the only the I regen'd was adding K's onto the clock.

Feel like such a dunce! :)

I understand all Thai autos had a DPF and the early Spanish autos. It may have been with the introduction of the 140kw motor in the Spanish models that the DPF was no longer required??

I understand all Thai autos had a DPF and the early Spanish autos. It may have been with the introduction of the 140kw motor in the Spanish models that the DPF was no longer required??

this is where more confusion kicks in, I believe mine is 120kw as it's the ST

Thanks mate, mine is the YD25..

The reason I'm kicking myself is that knowing its a 2013 model, you'd assume it has a DPF.

I even put a bottle of DPF clean in and did a manual regen on the bloody thing!!! the only the I regen'd was adding K's onto the clock.

Feel like such a dunce! :)
Australia followed Euro 4 standards until 2016, which meant all automatic Navaras required a DPF. Manuals did not.

Australia followed Euro 4 standards until 2016, which meant all automatic Navaras required a DPF. Manuals did not.
actually no.
most auto's did not have DPF's. it was only a year or two that had DPF's. keep in mind there is multiple different YD25's in the D40's.
i suspect the dpf model simply had the old engine on the new emission standard so they slapped on a dpf to get it to pass, then the updated yd25 engine came out and that passed the new standard without DPF.

If you've got the YD25 auto, the DPF ought to be under the front left footwell. It will have two metal tubes connected to it, and two electrical connections to sensors on the front and rear of it. The two metal tubes will run up into the engine bay, connected to a pair of rubber hoses and then to a small black sensor about the size of a matchbox that lives on the side of the bay against the guard right near the ABS unit. This sensor is the pressure differential sensor. If you're missing this sensor, along with the metal pipes and the two electrical connections, your car never had a DPF.

If you've got the YD25 auto, the DPF ought to be under the front left footwell. It will have two metal tubes connected to it, and two electrical connections to sensors on the front and rear of it. The two metal tubes will run up into the engine bay, connected to a pair of rubber hoses and then to a small black sensor about the size of a matchbox that lives on the side of the bay against the guard right near the ABS unit. This sensor is the pressure differential sensor. If you're missing this sensor, along with the metal pipes and the two electrical connections, your car never had a DPF.

Bingo mate.

Left front footwell just has a straight factory rusted pipe like the rest of the exhaust running through there.

No piping, no cables, no blocked off holes etc. There is just oodles of room under there.

2013, YD25, VSK, ST, Auto.

Like I said, you'd think being later years it would have one, but as @tweak'e has noted, looks like I was blessed with no DPF.

It's like a never ending saga learning about this car, nothing seems straight forward, every bloody model and year is unique of the same shape car!

Latest posts

Back