D40 yd25 not starting after rebuild

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I know this topic has been covered in the past but I cannot find a exact match to my problem and need some expert advise here.

I replaced the head gasket due to an idiot who rebuild the complete engine and used the wrong head gasket. With this I had to replace 1 piston. Also checked the head and lapped all the valves and did the clearance to be in spec. After putting it all together the problem is as follows

The engine turns over. Checked the fuel lines and put a clear pipe after the filter going tot en pomp to make sure there is no air in system. Correct. Next check fuel to injector. It's there. Car gets to a point where it almost starts and blows smoke out the exhaust. O yes I also put 4 new glowplugs. So the fuel is getting to the piston and it is igniting, but does not want to start. O have checked all the plugs and sensors and all is ok.

This afternoon is notices some smoke coming out one of the injector holes in tape cover. I am at the end of my patience,

What else can I check do to get the bakkie running.

What colour is the smoke? Black = some ignition, white = none.

There are a number of possibilities for either scenario.

Black smoke: it's getting air and fuel and it's happening at the right time, but there's more fuel than it needs for the air it's getting. "Air" means "oxygen" and not exhaust gas: if your EGR valve is stuck open, you'll have partial combustion happening and this will flood back into the intake and choke the engine to a stop. Don't worry about the turbocharger yet, there's no boost at idle anyway, but the air filter does need to be clean and the intercooler needs to be free of obstruction (petrol is a great cleaner for the inside of the intercooler - just let it sit for an hour after cleaning it for the excess petrol to evaporate).

White smoke: generally means either no combustion at all, or so much overfuelling it's not funny, which may be an air path blockage (one guy had an owl stuck in his snorkel pipe, another had a rag left in the intercooler inlet). How sure are you that the camshaft timing is correct? If you crank the engine for a few seconds (4-5) and then remove a glow plug, is the tip wet?

The EGR is blanked off on both ends. I will check the airbox, did not replace the air filter as yet, intercooler I cleaned out and just a mention that I did replace the turbo also, checked the cam position sensor as the old one was faulty and found the red wire had broken off and soldered it back. Car is giving no error codes. The smoke is light greyish in colour. Changes all the diesel in the tank. I thought it is a air/ fuel problem.

Tried quick start but nothing. It is like the engine needs a bit of speed to turn over. Almost like you want to climb in and start cranking by hand. It's at the edge of starting but just not enough to go. I am going to do a compression test as well today just to make sure my engineering skills are up to scratch and the also giving it a tow to see if I can run star it. Engine timing is 100%

Latest posts

Back