D40 genuine snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldyz

Reaction score
I have a genuine Nissan snorkel fitted to my D40 STX dual cab that isn't sealed in any way shape or fashion. I've had the ute for just over a year (from new) and although haven't crossed any major water crossings I'm off to the Cape next year and need this rectified.

When I questioned my local Nissan dealer about it they said the snorkel wasn't supposed to be 'water tight', you could imagine the look of shock on my face.

Anyway, just wondering how others have sealed their Nissan snorkel as it enters the side wall of engine bay (where the foam surround is). Mine looks like it has an oval intake section going into round section from the snorkel piece under the guard. There is close to a one to two cm gap all the way around it.

Thanks
Goldyz

Thanks Tony,

I take it that no one else has the factory nissan snorkel fitted or everyone is assuming (incorrectly) that nissan fitted it to be waterproof; or I've just been given a dud job and have to rectify it myself.

I know that I won't be trusting it with another water crossing before I fix it.

I have a factory snorkel. It too is not sealed completely. You can confirm this by simply blocking off the top of the snorkel and if the ute still runs then it is sucking air from somewhere.

I discovered my snorkel was not sealed completely when I was in the Simo Desert. I opened up the air box and saw the paper filter was slightly wet at one end!

Its on my 'to do list' to get a professional 4WD business to pull it apart and seal the damn thing properly.

Knowing what I know now, I should've just got a Safari snorkel installed, at least they guarantee that it is sealed.

So nissan refused to rectify it? or did they just tell you that it's done right?
That's one I never thought of. For some reason still have confidence in the dealers and trusted that they would do a good job (They charge enough $s). Definitely getting someone to look at it. Until then, I am not going in the water. Thanks guys.

No, Nissan have said that it "is" installed correctly, even though it's not waterproof. They told me the snorkel isn't designed to raise the fording depth, just to get cleaner air from near the roof line.

After the discussion I had with the dealer I knew I should have got a Safari snorkel installed with their guarantee.

No, Nissan have said that it "is" installed correctly, even though it's not waterproof. They told me the snorkel isn't designed to raise the fording depth, just to get cleaner air from near the roof line. .

LMAO what a crock of SH**!!

so when you go snorkeling on the reef u breathe with holes in the snorkel?? i think not!

iv heard so many people complain about the airtec snorkels installed by 15yr old apprentices at nissan. I would be taking it back mate!!

no doubt if your yd25 craps itself and they determine it to be excess water in the block they would blame "bad fuel" pfft

if they wont replace/fix it u could spray a bit of wd40 at the joins and see where the engine revs..(i havent tried this so not sure if it works)

note: when testing for air leaks by covering the ram make sure not to use ur hand...diesels motor air intake is pretty high (almost sucked my hand in lol) and not to do this so often as it causes xtreme stress on the joins ;-)

Last edited:
I was lucky the dealer I bought mine from uses the local 4WD place for fitting and they did an excellent job with the factory snorkel no leaks anywhere

Latest posts

Back