Corrugations !

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maulbeagle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

went out over the weekend around Nanga and had to travel some distance over gravel roads with corrugations in my stock 2011 D22.
OMG, the car sounded like it was falling apart and the ride was nearly unbearable !
Is this just standard for these cars ? Can anything be done to improve it ?

Thanks

You can turn up the radio.... I have thought my doors were going to fall of at times and that was with 30psi tyres and aftermarket suspension... when 120kph didnt work it was back to walking pace.

Yup definitely air down the tyres.

Also the stock shockers are pretty crap, some better quality after market ones will help (but only if the tyre pressures are correct).

It helps to have some weight in the tub too.

It'll never be 'smooth' but doing all the above will make a big difference.

its all about tyre pressure.

if u want to go smooth on corrugation, then air down the tyres to around 12PSI. you wont feel the corrugations.

i do a lot of corrugation roads(pretty common on desert) and when it gets bad, i just deflat the tyres to 20Psi and then try again.

BTW!! im runnin standar suspension(with 100k on it).

greetings

My d22 seems to scoot over corrugated roads nicely, stock sus, 165k, no air down. It is about the only terrain it does ride well on. So much better than our pajero which almost feels like it will self destruct.

Last edited:
Standard suspension is designed to make the vehicle feel comfortable until it's out of the sale yard. Beyond that, it does a mediocre job of preventing the bump stops from being over-used while the car is on a hoist.

In truth, the stock suspension is designed to carry a light load - somewhere from 50 to 100kg settles the rear of the car nicely. Two bags of cement should do and if it doesn't work you can cut foot-shaped holes in the top, add water and the Nissan salesman's feet just before you go "fishing".

Dual or multi-rate leaf springs are definitely the way to go. My dual-rate Dakar (Old Man Emu) leaf springs are absolutely fantastic. We were barreling along Box Creek Road (south-western NSW north of Balranald) at 90+km/h with the caravan attached and it was smooth as.

Good shocks that dissipate heat quickly are essential. Thin, single-core shocks will overheat and wear a lot faster - something like the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sports is good (that's what I have) and the Tough Dog Foam Cells are reputed to be ok too.

Lowering the tyre pressure isn't a bad idea but you do have to be concerned about sideways pressure on the tyres, which could cause the beading to come loose. You can use bead lockers (from what I understand they're a great idea but they're illegal for some reason I can't fathom) or you can keep the pressure high enough to avoid the problem - around 25psi would be the minimum. Below that you have to take care when cornering, and hope that you don't hit a rock with the edge of the tyre.

Latest posts

Back