Cold weather

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1303

Reaction score
THe cold weather is upon us once again.
And I'm curious to see what everyone does differently in the morning when starting the trucks.
I like to start mine 10-15 before I leave in the hope my heaters won't be too far off given we have no way to up the revs while idling.

What do you do? Any tips and tricks?

Last edited:
I have always given my D22 like a minute or 2.

Its not a carby engine, but I change gears about 2000rpm when she's cold.

250,000km's and she's still going good.

I give mine 2-3 minutes of warm up while I put the boots on, then take it real easy (keep the revs below 1500 and off boost) for about 5 minutes till the temp gauge starts to move. Then I drive it hard cause i'm already late for work.

Yeah 3 minutes on the heat switch and shift at 2000 til it's warm

joshman said:
I give mine 2-3 minutes of warm up while I put the boots on, then take it real easy (keep the revs below 1500 and off boost) for about 5 minutes till the temp gauge starts to move. Then I drive it hard cause i'm already late for work.

Dave said:
I have always given my D22 like a minute or 2.

Its not a carby engine, but I change gears about 2000rpm when she's cold.

250,000km's and she's still going good.

That's something worth making note of. Thanks fellas.

I turn the key, drive out of the garage, push the remote button for the garage door, put my belt on and drive off. I don't push it but at the same time I don't monitor the revs or constantly check things either.

Yeah im with the other lads, i dont rev past 2000 untill she starts to warm up a bit. My power steering isnt too happy to move until i get the revs up either. 2000 rpm when cold, never past 3000rpm when hot.

All this will probably, eventually lead to questions like "what is warm" and "how far should the needle move before I rev it".

For the record the needle on mine doesn't move until the water is at 40 degrees but I wouldn't consider it "warm" until the needle is about a 1/3 of the way up the gauge which is between 60 and 70 degrees, then normal is about 2/3 and is about 90 degrees.

Even on days below 10 degrees it still takes less than 5 mins in 50 zones to get my ute to the 60-70 range and less than 10 mins in the same zones to get it to 90+

I turn the engine on, hit the heat switch to get the revs up slightly then set the turbo timer for 5 minutes and walk away and keep getting ready for work. I did it this morning and the engine temp went from 12 degrees at 32 degrees. I then drive it easy - no boost til the engine temp gets up to 40 degrees.

I trip over the dog (couldn't see it through bleary eyes), shiver a lot, start the truck, shiver some more (& thereby spill my coffee), drive away carefully (below 1500rpm).

Or, same as above except that I don't go near the truck - but shiver my way to the lab on my bike - Brrrr

Nothing although will wait for the glow plug light to go out if I remember.

The only time it really has to work is if it is towing.

On cold mornings...

I start mine and flick the fast idle switch on the dash (which brings the idle up to just under 2000rpm).

Then I turn the heater/demister on, start the wipers (assuming the frost isn't too heavy and they'll move) then I wait for the frost to melt on the windscreen which takes anywhere between a 3 and 5 minutes.

Then I drive off to work, I don't bother driving any different to normal since I don't normally drive hard anyway.

I send the kids out to start the nav, By the time i get my boots on and get outside its idled for a couple of minutes, thats the plan anyway

Probably should have read the first post properly because it makes no mention of it being a Navara which I only drive on the weekends.

My daily drive is petrol, well gas actually. I pull the manual choke, pump the pedal like buggery while kicking it over until it starts. When on the move, push the choke all the way in & drive normally. It will often reach 4000+rpm before changing gears, particularly if I see lights in the distance with the knowledge that I will end up being engulfed in a plume of their dust if they beat me to the T intersection.

The little bitch loves it.

Yeah it's getting cold.
2012-05-17_05-23-01_611.jpg

Or a close up incase you can't read it. (Negative 9)
2012-05-17_05-22-12_531.jpg

I go out and start engine, go back into garage fill a bucket with lukewarm water walk back out turn on the wipers and heater throw the bucket of water over the front windows and mirrors, return the bucket to the garage, jump in the ute and head off quietly not reving to high until it's warmed up (which usually takes about 3km's).

The Nav: start it, let run for maybe 30secs, hit heat switch, turn heater on high, get out and hose the car, turn wipers on and hose screen to clean it, fill washer bottle (has a hole hence why needed daily). By the time i get back in the temp gauge has moved up abit, then i just drive slowly to the highway (maybe 150-200m), then into it.

The Motorbike: full choke, start it up, let it idle and keep the revs to 2500max, dropping the choke slightly as it reaches that rpm till i can fully release choke. then again drive slowly to the highway then into it.

Latest posts

Back