Glow plugs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damgud987

Reaction score
Hi all need help truck wouldn't start battery died Saturday had a new battery started 4 cold mornings fine but this morning was -10 and wouldn't fire went to work a friend got it going then all day started fine could it be the glow plugs if so are they easy to replace I know they could snap off so I'm thinking get the garage to sort it but meantime is there any tips I can do to help cold start till I can get it in the garage many thanks ow by the way it started with the horrible easy start I dont like it but thats what he told me later 😒

It does sound like the glows aren't coming on. It would be worth checking them at least - see if there's power getting to the plugs.

If there's no power that will be the answer. Check the fuses, check the relays in the distribution box, check the glow relay on the sidewall near the battery.

Not sure if its plugs now as this morning -9 it fired up 1st turn of the key ran then cut out started with a bit of easy start I know its not gud but needed it running I did before I started it the 1st time think wounder if the diesel had frozen in the primer so squeeze a few times not sure if that help the 1st start? Any help please 🙏

Are you using winterised diesel? It shouldn't freeze or wax up.

When you squeezed the primer a few times, how many is "a few" ? A fuel system in good condition won't need more than 3-4 squeezes to make the bulb firm. If you're going past 5-6 squeezes, you've got an air leak either because a clamp is loose, a hose is cracked, some debris is on the join or the water sensor in the filter isn't seated correctly.

Not sure what winterised diesel is i just put normal in and I pump it 3 times but hard to do as it feels solid this morning wasn't as cold probably only -2 started fine

Here in Australia there are two main types of diesel, "normal" diesel which has nothing to combat waxing of the fuel and "winterised" which has an additive to prevent the fuel from forming waxy deposits. This winterised fuel is usually only sold in "high" altitude areas like 1,000m above sea level, although it's supposed to be more widely available around the alpine regions during winter.

If your primer feels solid after 3 pumps your fuel system is good, we need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Normal diesel freezes at -12 Celsius so it's not likely to be the culprit.

I wonder if the glow relay isn't working all the time? Might have some carbon on the contacts causing erratic behaviour, or a flaky connection on the relay?

Thats interesting to know i wounder if there is anything in England some additive you can add to diesel to help i know a old lorry drives used to add a gallon of petrol to stop the freeze but thats in a big tank not little tanks on ours im thinking its definitely something to do with the cold

Latest posts

Back