cleaning intake manifold.... anyone done it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navd22yd25cr

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyobe has cleaned their intake manifold after doing egr mod? I have a mate who have a new mitsubishi triton and told me he cleaned his manifold. He showed me picture and he scraped fist fulls of soot and build up of carbon..

His pictures looked similar to this...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=290874087572
Altho it is a triton and it could be all the plastic on the car burning. All the fansy trimmings lol

Is it worth pulling my motor apart and seeing if its built up the same? Has anyone done the same??? Ive recently installed a catch can and done the egr blanking plate mod...

Last edited:
i had my intake ripped off after a egr block by the mechanic

he had to send the whole thing out to be acid dipped to clean it , it was so bad

how many km? I know hilux and tritons are particularly bad, D22 isn't meant to do it that much, its more the EGR that does it so if thats blocked I wouldn't worry.

Its only done 74000km. I have a feeling the cars been used heavily specially for 4wding... When i put the catch can in i noticed a heap of black shit in the hose itself... Do u know if anyobr has done it?

You could get a mechanic to clean it out for you if its worrying you.

my last navara was a 2.5, brand new one, after 500km I did the EGR mod and the intake was already full of crap... so its probably worth getting a second opinion.

Yeah sweet, its not really worrying but i wouldnt mind taking it off and having a decent look, its amazong the amount of crap my mate got out of his....

Since im getting familiar with the yd25 motor i might have a bit of a search and see how easy it is to do... Pretty handy with the tools so il probably give it a go...

Hey mate, I did my EGR mod on my nav right at the start when people were asking if it can be done lol I had quite abit of build up but not too bad.. As I will be replacing my blown turbo this week ill have a look at mine see if its changed.. Ill let you know if its bad or not, this is after 100k the EGR mod so it can give you an idea.. As for the catch can it helps a lot but I still get oil in the pipes but no where as much as before.. I cleaned out my intercooler and pipes yesterday I haven't driven or going to drive it until the turbo swap as thus one must b leaking oil.. Anyway can't hurt taking it off and having a look but you will have to remove a lot of crap to get it off but have a spare weekend and give it a go but be prepared not to drive it if you look at it and see that you need to get it all cleaned before you put it back on.. Anyway mate that's my opinion, good luck

Ahh sweet cheers for the info boys,

Il most probably get onto it when i do a bit more research.. Il probably end up buying the service manual and having a bit of a look.

Cheers 4byfor aswell, be good to get some pics uploaded if you could, my mate has a d40 be good to show him as well.

Il post pics and info as well, when i got on it. I was amazed to see the amount of crap that came out of mates manifold, when i done my blanking plate i pulled the whole egr cooler off and it had heaps of black soot built up

Hey guys had an attempt to take the throttle body off, got half way and pulled the plug........ Basicly to get to a few bolts you gotta start pulling off your common rail. A few of the steel diesel lines block a few bolts and u cant flex the lines out the way.... Wasnt keen on doing it hahaha i scraped as much shit as i could with a teaspoon and got so much oily soot out.... I also found a bit of a restriction in the the throttle body from an egr i decided to just cut it out as i thought since the egr valve is no longer used i wont need it a tube from ur egr basicly slides into the throttle body, that was so blocked with oily soot it restricted airflow... Sounds bad when u write it but il upload pictures when im done putting it all back together.... Sorry guys failed attempt just not kern on pulling the rest of it apart....

Last edited:
better safe then sorry mate, the cost of replacing the common rail and or injectors would be like $5000+

Latest posts

Back