Buying a d40??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a windbooster? And have you heard about upgrading pedal boxes to get a better response I no 200 series cruiser you can, not sure about the d40s
The one I'm
Looking at already has a snorkel and exhaust.
Cheers mate
wind booster basically does what an upgraded pedal box does. It wires into the throttle controller on the pedal(fly by wire) and just changes the responsiveness of it, and how much you put the pedal down to get a certain throttle opening, if you know bikes or old throttle wire engines, basically the same as an aftermarket cam throttle.
Doesn't give you better power or anything, just makes it seem that way.
some of the better ones have tonnes of different modes:
windbooster-throttle-controller-map-settings_f22165c1-da46-45fd-b5db-df9e6d36abe2_grande.jpg

Last edited:
wind booster basically does what an upgraded pedal box does. It wires into the throttle controller on the pedal(fly by wire) and just changes the responsiveness of it, and how much you put the pedal down to get a certain throttle opening, if you know bikes or old throttle wire engines, basically the same as an aftermarket cam throttle.
Doesn't give you better power or anything, just makes it seem that way.
some of the better ones have tonnes of different modes:
windbooster-throttle-controller-map-settings_f22165c1-da46-45fd-b5db-df9e6d36abe2_grande.jpg

Hey mate thanks for that, how much would they set you back top range to mid range? I have heard the pedal boxes make a huge difference for towing

Thanks mate I'll have a look and see where it was built. So I'm guessing Spain built is a better option?

You will tell easy enough. Thai ones have indicators in the front guards and the Spain ones don't. One good thing Thai ones have the ecu programmed so if and when the timing chain has reached the end of its life it will stall on a coold start so 9 times out of 10 it should be fool proof.

Top of the line windbooster is $370 with 9 stages and this fancy intelligent stuffs. The normal 9 mode one is $270
There is also the windbooster Idrive for $299, I think the new $370 one is a revised version of this.
Berrima diesel sells one called the PLUGNGO for $399
No idea the difference between them all though, haven't used any of them.

I use the "stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor" booster method on the 550 engine, and that works a treat! :lol:

Last edited:
Ok cool so it does have indicators in the front guards so it is Thai built.. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to before buying?

Top of the line windbooster is $370 with 9 stages and this fancy intelligent stuffs. The normal 9 mode one is $270
There is also the windbooster Idrive for $299, I think the new $370 one is a revised version of this.
Berrima diesel sells one called the PLUGNGO for $399
No idea the difference between them all though, haven't used any of them.

I use the "stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor" booster method on the 550 engine, and that works a treat! :lol:

Haha thanks for that info mate I'll deffinately look into it if I go ahead with it.

To easy mate still a nice change. What type of consumption when towing out of interest?
Thanks

If your going to run a 3 inch lift get a GU 4.2td wagon, it's better at towing than the d40, absolutely bulletproof, you can carry your mates in it, you can lift it, and any more money you spend on fuel will be spent on parts for the d40 in the long run mate... the td42 will probably get better economy while towing anyway.

GU Utes are in bigger demand than the wagons, so you should be able to find a good deal to switch to the wagon.

You said you love your patrol, well you really don't know how much you love something till it's gone.

Last edited:
any car or truck would have at least one potential problem otherwise the owner wouldnt sell it just 4 year after purchase, but the d40 is a really nice truck solid and powerfull

any car or truck would have at least one potential problem otherwise the owner wouldnt sell it just 4 year after purchase, but the d40 is a really nice truck solid and powerfull

We have owned my d22 for 10years and it's still going strong, the new Utes are hollow, weak, under engineered and often not built properly, a d40 cannot even hold a candle to a GU. The 4.2td GU is the strongest Nissan ever made. And one of the best if not the best 4WD ever made. Common sense people.

Hey Fatman plenty of satisfied D40 owners here, sounds like your a Patrol fan and that's good you are looking at two entirely different vehicle's. I think Tony gave a good comparison in your petrol/diesel thread this morning.

Hey Fatman plenty of satisfied D40 owners here, sounds like your a Patrol fan and that's good you are looking at two entirely different vehicle's. I think Tony gave a good comparison in your petrol/diesel thread this morning.

It wasn't in my petrol vs diesel thread mate it was in the thread called "engine dramas..." You know the thread where the bloke suffered complete engine failure at just under 200,000km on the clock................

Another bloke also just posted in that thread that he hasn't had the best time with his d40 either.

The pom's must be doing something we don't, some of there D40's are untouched and going well at 400k. I wonder what it is?.

That's the first time I have heard of high km yd25s, if they were reliable enough I would get a new d22, I'm a bit cut the build quality control went down. I think the poms use a different engine setup by memory, they also probably have dealerships that don't put up with the bullshit ours do. And I doubt they get as hard a life as an Aussie 4wd would get.

Maybe something to do with the crap quality diesel we get here in australia?

i love my d22, i plan to keep it another 10 years, BUT if i had to get a new toy now i would get a d40 without a thought!
the d22 is lovely but its on a 1997 platform with torsion bars (only thing that bugs me) and the engine is from 2002 (you guys didnt get it in AU but its the same truck with a common rail but it still makes the same power so waste of efford)
d40 is a lot younger and if you take care of it with oil changes and not driving it like a race car, will last forever as well!
kinda shame they havent stop production for the d22 i would like it much better to have stayed back to 2006.

Latest posts

Back