Boost gauge problems, I need your help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLI

Reaction score
G,day,

Gents&Gals,

Fitted boost gauge. I taped into the boost sensor hose on the top of the
intercooler on the drivers side as recommended by some of the threads.

My problem is this, when i start the motor, the needle on my auto meter
boost gauge flys right around the dial. My D40 is a 2005 stx dual cab,
manual.

Question; Have i taped into the wrong area?

It appears i am recieving to much pressure comming to the gauge. My dial reads up to 30psi. I never had this problem when the gauge was mounted on both my 4.2 turbo diesel GU and my 3.0lt D22 Nav.

I tested the gauge on a mates turbo diesel today and the gauged worked fine.

Regards,

Your humble servant!

RLI:sad:

seems more electrical than a boost problem to me mate, i can tell you that when you start an engine it doesnt boost let alone to 30psi lol i would check your wiring like earth point and your positive mine goes to negative when the ignition is first turned on
cheers
brent

What dvs said. There's zip-all boost below about 1400rpm and the boost only starts coming on strong at 1800rpm and over. Peak torque of the 2.5CRD is at about 2,000rpm and that's the point in the RPM range where the most power is obtained for the least amount of fuel, which should then equate to your "sweet spot" for maximising fuel economy.

Nothing like a tangent, eh?

seems more electrical than a boost problem to me mate, i can tell you that when you start an engine it doesnt boost let alone to 30psi lol i would check your wiring like earth point and your positive mine goes to negative when the ignition is first turned on
cheers
brent

G,evening DVSFPY,

Mine is a mechinical auto-meter guage, would an electrical problem still cause an issue? I though wiring was only for the use of the light inside the guage for night time use! I am probably wrong, I will re-check wiring.:idea:

What dvs said. There's zip-all boost below about 1400rpm and the boost only starts coming on strong at 1800rpm and over. Peak torque of the 2.5CRD is at about 2,000rpm and that's the point in the RPM range where the most power is obtained for the least amount of fuel, which should then equate to your "sweet spot" for maximising fuel economy.

Nothing like a tangent, eh?

Hi Tony,

Have i taped into the right area? I found it strange when i started the engine, and when the engine was idling, the needle was sitting on 26psi.

Even when i was travelling at 100ks the needle went from 26psi to off the gauge. I guess i have f--ked up somewhere!

Please forgive me, i am an English/Irish/Australian!

Regards,

RLI:cheers!:

My old Autometre pyro does that at times.

I went to VDO as I have found autometre to be average.

My old Autometre pyro does that at times.

I went to VDO as I have found autometre to be average.

I do not have a pyro? I am pretty sure it is a Vacuum operated gauge! As previously stated, i hooked it up to a (i should not say this!) Toyota land cruiser 80 series and it worked fine. That's why i think, either;

1. I have taped into the wrong area?

2. I have used the wrong size t-piece fitting and the hose diameter?

3. Being English/Irish/Australian I made a fundamental f---up somewhere!

I am wondering if I have should have taped into the inlet manifold on the driver’s side?

If you can assist me I will shout you a slab of beer at the Navara muster!

Regards,

RLI.

:cheers!:

i wonder if its electrical problem. some guages do a self test when they first turn on. needle swings all the way round. check your power and earth connections.

If it's vacuum/pressure operated then something weird is happening.

At 26psi of boost (almost 2 atmospheres) your air plumbing will be bulging and the engine should be putting out a considerable amount of power. They're supposed to peak at 18-24psi.

At idle, there is no boost at all, so there must be something not quite right about the connection.

How does the gauge connect into the intercooler? What steps did you take to fit it there (eg "drill a hole, insert a supplied plug with vacuum line wth Loctite applied to thread"). If the connection between the intercooler and the gauge is a wire and not a tube, then the thing you installed in the intercooler is a sensor and the wiring of the gauge may be incorrect.

If your gauge is connected by a tube/pipe to the intercooler, I have no answer - at idle, there's supposed to be a vacuum (less pressure than 1 atmosphere) in there.

G,day Gents,

Please read the Have a rant section. Look for thread titled "what a fool/tool i am" This will explaing the out come of my emmbarrasing boost problem.

Regards,

RLI
:suicide2:

Latest posts

Back