2007 Nissan Navara D40 -V6 Petrol engine whistling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryjen

Reaction score
Hi guys

New to the forum. So much information on here. Great.

However, I can't seem to find the answer to my problem and it is this.

My Nav has developed a rather loud whistling noise. I have ordered a new fan belt which I am picking up from Nissan today but doubt that is my problem. Reason I think this is because when I remove the fan belt the noise is still there and it appears to be coming from the right hand side of the engine (if you're looking at it straight on - passenger/air box side).

A rather embarrasing and annoying drive at the moment.

Anybody got any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

Bryan

Ill get in first and say welcome to the forums...

Might be an idle pulley wheel bearing has shit itself. I havent taken much notice where they might be in the engine bay, but i had to replace them on my old commonwhore, because the exact whistling noise you are speaking of was occuring. Does the sound change pitch when you rev the engine? The idle pulley wheel being one that isnt attached to any moving parts, and is there to take up tension, or change the direction of the belt...

Last edited:
what morticus said. Does it idle rough,if it is it sounds like it could be sucking air.
Get a long screw driver and place it on the parts that have bearings and put your ear to it as this works as a stethoscope. welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum!

If it's more like a screech than a whistling, it could be the idler pulley or the alternator, which has been problematic at times.

A whistling sound would have to be air moving through an aperture, which you hear on the turbos more frequently when there's a boost leak but could still happen on the petrol if there were some problem with the intake manifold. The intake manifold includes the EGR - I'd check that out, look for soot marks blowing out around it.

Latest posts

Back