zd30 white smoke and oi in the turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredm

Reaction score
hey guys new to the forum, i have a 2005 zd30 and its blowing heaps of white smoke when its starts up cold but as soon as it idles for 10 mins the smoke disappears. also notices the holes going in the top of the turbo has a fair bit of oil leaking out of it.. ( started when the old girl was towing around 3tonn of horses and horse float ). also when i turned it on last night it revved up 5500rpm before i quickly turned it off. done it twice then was back to normal ?
cheers
any help would be much appreciated

1st guess, white smoke = glow plug problem (aslong as you are not using water then you are in real trouble)

as for the oil, is it in the air intake of the turbo, refer to posts relating to catch cans.

Yeah mate its in the air intake. Also leaks out of the other hole as well. There's a fair bit of oil sitting underneath the turbo on everything. I have kinda been told it could be the turbo seal causing it but yeah not 100% sure. What would be the beat bet with the glow plugs get a new set? Cheers

Yeah I shut it down. Yeah went to 5500 rpm before I turned it off then tried again went to 3000rpm turned it off again then third try it ran 100%

with the glow plug, check the connections first, clean the bolts on the rail, and check the connector that mounts to the bracket, its on a wire that is about th size of 6B&S so reasonably thick, check to see if that has burnt out.
These checks a basically free, just uses a little time, if it continues to give hard starting issues / white smoke on start up, then i would look into new plugs.

I can't add much. Large amounts of oil in the turbo could be either blow-by or turbo seals, the ZD30s are supposed to be quite adept at producing blow-by and when you're towing heavy, the forces on the pistons are greater, increasing the amount of blow-by. You'll know if you add a catch can, or just temporarily vent the PCV to the underside of the car and clean the turbo hosing - if there's still a fair bit of oil, your turbo seals are gone. Your choices are a rebuild kit (here's a how-to) or a whole turbo (from EvilBay or my choice would be Forefront Industries). Not sure if that kit is the right one, so check your model to make sure.

If you're getting a lot of blow-by, you might consider a compression test to see if the piston rings need replacing, at which point you're up for a rebuild - perhaps slightly larger pistons with a mild bore, new rings (don't forget to stagger the gaps) or just oversized rings with a light hone - you might consider checking the main bearings if you've gone this far!

Latest posts

Back