YD25 timing chains

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YD25 timing chains

• timing chain failed ruined engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparra04

Reaction score
lets get some figures together so we can see how many members have actually had issues or suspect issues with the yd25 timing chains
vote away

Last edited:
Nissan replaced the chain on my 2010 with 96,000km as they incorrectly believed it was causing its fluctuating idle problem,

BUT they found out after that there diagnosis was WRONG, and it was infact the suction control valve.

I know these engines like the back of my hand now, changed mine at 180,000kms wasnt really anything wrong in there to be honest. It's really not a bad job, I can do them in a day and a half $1400 parts and labour.

there is no section for me to vote for my old one that was changed due to a poor diagnosis of a fault, (not that i was complaining as my brother in-law got his new ute with a new chain and SCV)

Good poll sparra! After some earlier rants on here by some people it would be good to see just how big of a problem these chains really are.

Cheers Brad

110,000 k's no issues as yet, but always conscious and on the lookout for the first signs.

I think sometimes just go and spend the $2700 and get the thing done, only because I’ve listened to all the rumours and it encourages paranoia.

Just enjoy your trucks people, don't be conscious just service it regularly and look after it and it will serve you well.

Well done on this poll I am interested to see the results
So far about 10 votes and I am The only one with a faulty chain Interesting !
Mine was stretched at 80,000kms
2008 D40 Spanish
The guides had been severely chewed up
I have the pics posted under another thread

Last edited:
Well done on this poll I am interested to see the results
So far about 10 votes and I am The only one with a faulty chain Interesting !
Mine was stretched at 80,000kms
2008 D40 Spanish
The guides had been severely chewed up
I have the pics posted under another thread

Mine goes in on 6/1/14 to get a YD25 kit installed for suspected stretched chain and diagnosed noisy cold start up timing chain rattle.

2008 D40 outlaw with good service history. Pics will follow when completed.

Gday, new to the forum I've got a 2011 yd25 engine. Top timing chain tensioner started going at 20 k. And despite countless crap from Nissan, despite warranty finally managed to replace the timing chain tensioner. Problem solved, but so close to a rebuilt, chain was almost jumping teeth. Bloke who fixed it said approx 1in 200 are still dodgy based on the replacement tensioners he gets in

Give me the td27 days when i got my first d21 pushrods were the way to go i got 502k out of the old girl sure it was slow my current rig is sitting on much more grunt than it should 158hp atw but i Carnot see how that will affect the chain.

I don't see how i drive normal i service every 5k sure it pulls a heap of weight every day with my work trailer and the van on weekends but i don't flog it peak torgue arrives at 2100rpm reving anymore is a wast of time as the power drops.

I just feel some of us are unlucky and the horror stories about chains appear to be isolated sure there was a member not too long ago had a meltdown and exploded over the fact some had an issue that i feel was not related to the car but perhaps more personal problems.

I would just like to say take it all with a grain of salt it's not as bad as some make look at the pole most have no issues and the last thing we need is folk making us worried and thank you sparra 04 for bringing up a very important topic.

John

I have been saying there's less actual failures than we're led to believe, and Sparra's incredibly well-timed poll is not proving it right, but is certainly leaning in that direction.

Even if we get 20% of the people saying there is or might be an issue with theirs, we still have to remember that many of the people out there that have Navaras with NO issues (and thus don't go searching and thus don't find this forum).

Thanks Sparra, and thanks to everyone who's voted - it makes me (as a YD25-equipped D40 owner) feel more comfortable.

I feel we are all worried about what we heard in the past i don't care i love the nav i will continue to enjoy it my only prob is those bloody rear seats
john

I love my nav too
Even though it has it's problem here and there
They're a good car
All new cars have issues
I agree we should drive and enjoy them
If and when they break we should fix them

Since my timing chain about November I also had to have my steering rack rebuilt

Regardless I still love the Nav

Latest posts

Back