winch wiring problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashmore61

Reaction score
Hi all,
I hope someone can help with my problem.
Last weekend I fitted a winch to my 02 nav and I'm sure it is wired correctly but it has a major problem. When I attempt to operate the winch, the brake lines on the right front get very hot and it has burnt the paint off the lines,I am sure it is an earthing problem but I can't work out why.
Please help.

Ash:banghead:

I heard of throttle cables getting hot, but never brake lines!, as maddogrc said, where is the earth going?

The earth lead is going directly to the battery.
I was considering running it to the chassis but the instructin book says to run it to the battery, or should I do both?

Your winch should have two heavy (2-gauge, about 12mm+ in diameter including insulation) that go from the battery to the winch.

One of these - the red one - will go directly to the control box of the winch, the other will go from the battery negative to the winch on its base. There will be other heavy leads - one red one black - that go from the winch to the control box.

Check if you might have damaged or dislodged the earth strap from the battery negative to the chassis/engine block. A multimeter should return 0 ohms between battery negative and engine chassis.

Latest posts

Back