Turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karl

Reaction score
Okay guys, ive owned my Nav for almost 4 years, Never had a major problem, went to ultra tune, yes i know. But they did a good job of the missus car so i thought why not.
Well the Turbo has always been very loud (from what i think) and i never really thought anything of it being that its sounded like that second hand, and i told nissan and they said it was normal.
After the service today ultra tune said that, it sounds like the turbo is not running correct, ive also been told this from another mate, but i keep saying it always sounds like this...

Ultra tune guy said his not an expert so best to see someone, Do you guys recoment anyone to see about this? IT does feel like it has maybe a leak of some sort but, i still feel boost kick in and what not. just a loud sound i guess like a bearing...? but like i said it has always done this. *shrug* not really in the mood to spend $1500...

Any advice would be amazing.

Pull the air filter part of the turbo off and see how the bearings are.

Check it out before it lets go, since you havent intercooled it.

A mate is sending me to his friend who services all the guys at works nissans, theres about 6 of us, im the only one the Navara, rest are patrols, but they all recomend him, Im not crash hot with anything when it comes to engines, specially turbos.
What am i looking for with the bearings? wear and tear, movement, or are you know reading this and thinking....yep take it to someone hah.

I cant remember the name of the bearing type, but they're brass and the compressor wheel's are attached to a shaft.

The oil pump forces oil into the bearings, when the brass bearing is starved of oil, the bearings start to wear and the compressor wheel flops about and eventually hits the compressor housing and destroying the wheels. Ending up in the plenum chamber and the engine.

ok cheers Dave, i shall give it a go in a minute

Last edited:
bearing type dave is talking about is a journal bearing I believe.

My ZD30 is pretty loud as far as turbo sounds go, might just be normal like I can always hear it whistling away.

Karl, it could be a couple of things - it might not be the turbo at all.

Turbochargers (and I wrote a FAQ on these, check the link in my sig) can be damaged in a few ways. The most common is by not allowing the turbocharger to cool after a hard run before shutting the engine down. Oil hardens on the bearings which then disintegrate and the compressor (impeller) swiftly falls apart.

It's really easy to check. Take off the intake pipe as Dave suggests. Put a clean finger in and try to wiggle the shaft - it shouldn't move much at all. Turn it - it should not feel gritty (there might be a little resistance from cold oil, but it should feel very smooth).

If the turbo feels fine, it's possibly a boost leak. A split in the hose, or an under/over-tightened hose clamp will allow pressured air to squeeze out and sound like a shrill squeak.

You might also want to check the EGR valve and tube for leaks (look for black soot).

as comments above.....DEFINITELY not one to just leave.....you may be extremely lucky pop the bonnet and see a dirty big soot mark from a blown gasket....but could be as difficult as the bearings going

common leak sights:
-Most common- leaking hoses and clamps on the pipe from turbo to plenum check and replace
-compressor housing to chra loose (5 bolts dont overtighten)
-compressor back plate to chra loose ( 4 bolts dont overtighten)
-bolt missing from back plate connection (4 x allen heads )
-turbo to manifold gasket
-dump gasket
- exhaust manifold to head ( loose bolts)

So....i gave this ago, took off both, the intake and the hose going into the intake manifold, no movement, to the point i thought i was pushing the wrong thing. It wouldnt turn, dont no if it was due to my fingers slipping or it just would not move, from both sides, i took some pics, and it looks as tho the where the impellar sits has lots of gouge marks, i havbe a feeling this turbo has seized?

Is that normal to have those long chunks taken out....im thinking no, its was well lubricated... but yea..
<br>

943447_10151376112576324_597713489_n.jpg

<br>
And this is where i was ment to be spinning right?
941675_10151376113906324_654464198_n.jpg

Last edited:
Bugger, sounds like you have a dead one on your hands. Hopefully it didnt break up and get into your engine. I wouldnt drive it anywhere until you have it sorted.

Dont know if you can see it, but it looks like a chunk of almost rust in the grove of wherre the impellar should spin :|

i havwerent noticed any changes with the truck....ever....its always been the same

am i acctually trying to hit the blades or is the impeller the whole section in there??

Take the two bolts and 90 deg elbow off the intake and you should have a clear view into the impeller.

Latest posts

Back