Tow speed v revs??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john

Reaction score
Hi everyone just curious, I understand that you should not tow in 5th gear, (I have a D22 td3.0 and a 2.3 ton tandem caravan), however When towing the engine sits on aprox 2800 - 3000 rpm at 85 -90 kmh. My question is: Is 3000 rpm to high for me to sit on constantly during travels around Oz? Or should I consider dropping back to 80 kph and around 2600 rpm?
cheers John

That's BS. If the 5th gear isn't strong enough to tow on, I'd buy another ute. 80k's around Oz would be too painful, for you and other road users.

Most people say not to tow in 5th because it's not the 1 to 1 ratio, produces too much axial thrust in the gearbox for long periods at high load. 4th is the 1 to 1 ratio.

I think the bearings on the 5th ratio are pretty small too? Someone will have to verify that though.

I'd rather rebuild the gearbox after a few years than travel the highways at 80km/h. Boring and unsafe I believe.

to answer your question, 3000 rpm should be fine to sit on for long periods, you'll just use lots of fuel, especially with 2.3t on the back.

I sit on 3000rpm (115-120kph in 5th, 265/75 r16s) most of the time when doing outback / highway runs, get pretty crappy liters per 100 without towing.

Most people say not to tow in 5th because it's not the 1 to 1 ratio, produces too much axial thrust in the gearbox for long periods at high load. 4th is the 1 to 1 ratio.

I think the bearings on the 5th ratio are pretty small too? Someone will have to verify that though.

ratio dosn't mean jack.

the older models where known to have a weak 5th gear but the D22's are fine. just use 5th gear as per normal.

I prefer mine to be in top gear for towing. Even though mine's an auto, I still like to see it get into top (5th) so that fuel consumption drops.

If you're cruising, you're not really exerting a lot of force on the drive train, you're just maintaining the vehicle's forward speed. I can't see that being an issue in top gear at all.

I tow my CT in 5th all the time, it's obviously nowhere near the 2 1/2 T mark though.

ya drop bac to 4th up hills and and overtaking cruising in 5th will be fine the fuel u will save will pay for a new box anyway

I tow in 5th, come to a hill drop back to 4th before you hit the hill.

If it drops under 90km/h in 5th drop back to 4th.

Thats what I do if I need to tow a loaded car trailer.

My gearbox is still good. No noises or crunching.

Dave.