Timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourke72

Reaction score
Hi guys, if a timing chain is dodgy would it be making a noise all the time or just at certain times i.e - cold/ hot etc

Once a chain is stretched it's stretched hot or cold. Best way to make sure it's your chain - use a mechanic's stethoscope to have a listen to the front of the engine (be careful of the fan).

Sometimes the engine will make a little more noise - especially when cold - but at 2,000rpm just as you bring the throttle down so that the engine is only just loaded enough to maintain speed it makes a particularly comfortable rattle.

I had some concern with the chain in my Navara but it was good, had a listen and there were no untoward noises coming from the timing chain cover.

When I got someone with two ears (I only have one that works) to have a listen they found it was the side of my airbox that had come loose.

I've had timing chains let go before - was easier to replace the motor. Bloody automatic tensioners cause more trouble than you'd hope - but they're a damn sight better than relying on the driver to nip up the tensioner every couple of 10s of thousands of km.

Chains dont tend to rattle, when they stretch they normally make a rotational scraping noise from the area of the fuel injection pump area. worse when cold but normally audible all the time!

Latest posts

Back