Timing Chain Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepho_62

Reaction score
G'day D22 Owners

I recently purchased a D22 with 57,000k on it. There is a nasty rattle from the front of the engine on startup consistent with a dodgy timing chain.

I've just attempted an oil change but got foiled by the bloody filter removal as I only have a filter wrench (band type). Its currently sitting in the driveway with no oil in the sump so Ill buy a filter tool and I'll complete the process tomorrow night.

I filtered the used oil and there are nitrile rubber bits in the used oil consistent with the backing material of tensioners that I've see used in other engines.

There was a very small amount of metal shavings in the oil so it looks like early Timing Chain tensioner failure. I'll dissect the filter and have a look at that once I've got it off.

Anyone else got this problem? I've read some of the threads and one described the noise it has in it fairly well.

• Whats the Warrenty period
  • Does it make any difference if I'm the 3rd owner

Its a June 2008 build date

Yes, The filter can be difficult to remove. Apparently Nissan have recently advised that Synthetic 5/30 oil be used in these engines and not the 15/40 Mineral previously permitted (there is another thread relevant to this.

The warranty is 3yr/100000KM Whichever occurrs first, so yours may be near 3yrs depending on 1st rego. Has it got documented service history?

There has been some d40's with chain issues and i can only recall one D22 but in reality the same engine, so certainly possible.

Good Luck.

Greg

The D22 nightmare continues

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. Its June build date and I'm the third owner. It was 1st registered in October 2008 I think. I got one of those cool cam type of removal tool ($15 from supercheap) and put a 12 inch extension on a half inch ratchet n "hey presto" off it came.

Its now got Penrite HPR 15 semi synthetic in it and the cam chain noise is noticeably reduced but I'm still doubtful.

The service history is doubtful and it looks like its been averaging every 10,000k between changes so Christ knows what sort of damage has been done.

There is an underlying noise that has me curious, at idle it sounds like a chaffing v belt or a noisy bearing on any of the 5 million things bolted on the front n driven off the harmonic balancer. I've listened to it with a screwdriver and I'm almost convinced that its coming from the cam shaft drive somewhere. It sounds like its running at half the speed of the crankshaft so that seems to confirm my suspicions.

I was an idiot to have brought it without taking my time :suicide2:, I would probably have walked away n left it.

Can you tell me what brand of filter is good to use? I've always used fleetguard and the Nissan dealer quoted me $38 dollars today so I'm not buying genuine filters.:wtf:

Timing Chain Issue

:suicide2: Well, been to the dealer. They have not said "NO" yet but I'm waiting with baited breath. $3000 repair job so I'll have to do the bastard myself too :-(

A

If you've JUST bought this vehicle then that thing is covered by a warranty, no fear about that. The factory warranty should expire in October this year regardless.

I'd be concerned about the particles you've found in the oil. Hopefully you won't have to foot the bill on that one - timing chains aren't that expensive but the labour is a killer and it's a total disaster if the thing lets go on you. I have to say it seems a bit premature for a D22 to lose its timing chain @ 57,000km - but then not everything is perfect.

For the record, 10,000km between services is NOT bad thing. Some vehicles are going up to 15,000km between services now. The general recommendation is tht 5,000km services are only necessary if your vehicle works really hard, harsh environments - that sort of thing, otherwise 10,000km is quite okay.

I don't know how anyone can identify timing chain noise on a diesel. How do you isolate it from the normal rattle rattle clack clack clack rattle ???

Timing Chain Issue

Dead easy to identify, If the tensioner is US then the wipping sound can be heard on startup while there is minimal oil around it. Engine stethoscope helps once its going and the diesel knock has subsided.

Anyway, GOOD NEWS is!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are fixing it. Its in hospital as we speak. Will be interesting to get it back.

Stepho,

I would be interested in any updates you have on the timing chain job. I bought myself an 05 STR D22 a few months ago (yes privately) with 112,000km on it and it has definitely got a noise which sounds like the timing chain. Very easy to hear as it is very different from the diesel clatter. My local workshop had a look and said the tensioner is either worn or stuffed and it would cost anywhere between $500 and $2000 depending if the chain itself is worn and needs replacement.

Cheers, Gee man

I have a d22 with 60000km and has a rattle at first startup coming from timing chest sounds like a bolt rattling around. Some mornings it is worse than others clears up after 30sec to a minute. Told Nissan when they done the 60000km service. Left it with them for a cold start and guess what it didn't play up bad enough for the that day. Pain in the arse cause now have to organize to leave it there again. Thinkin the same as your issue stepho

Last edited:
Stepho,

I would be interested in any updates you have on the timing chain job. I bought myself an 05 STR D22 a few months ago (yes privately) with 112,000km on it and it has definitely got a noise which sounds like the timing chain. Very easy to hear as it is very different from the diesel clatter. My local workshop had a look and said the tensioner is either worn or stuffed and it would cost anywhere between $500 and $2000 depending if the chain itself is worn and needs replacement.

Cheers, Gee man

Gee Man,

I had a good discussion with the mechanic when I picked up the vehicle. These are my words and observations and not his. They replaced sprockets, both chains (yes there are 2 of them) 2 tensioners and 3 guides. None of the guides/tensioners had excess wear on the wear surfaces. I believe the issue lays with the spring tension on the tensioners which is incorrect or fails way to early. This leads to the chains running untensioned which in turn accelerates the chain, guide, sprocket, tensioner wear very rapidly. I asked the question "are we replacing the crap parts with parts that have been appropriately modified etc"? The answer was "yes, they are much better"

I can only hope :):sarcastic:

I have a d22 with 60000km and has a rattle at first startup coming from timing chest sounds like a bolt rattling around. Some mornings it is worse than others clears up after 30sec to a minute. Told Nissan when they done the 60000km service. Left it with them for a cold start and guess what it didn't play up bad enough for the that day. Pain in the arse cause now have to organize to leave it there again. Thinkin the same as your issue stepho

Mate,

When you fire it up cold again have a good listen to the engine when its making the noise with a long screwdriver with a metal shaft thru the handle if you have such an animal. It works as a stethoscope. Anyway, as you have read above my timing chain noise has been resolved BUT there is still a real rattle on startup from cold as well. I haven't worked out what it is yet but it seems to be coming from around the EGR port area where it exits the TC housing. It almost sounds like a solenoid snapping open n shut.:stupido:

Cant work it out, will sus it shortly, warranty is running out tick tock :big_smile:

mine does the same thing until it warms up, but i was out shooting last weekend up some crazy tracks so was in low range and i could hear it all night, kind of a challenge going on those tracks trying to drive and hold a rifle at the same time lol

Stepho_62 said:
Dead easy to identify, If the tensioner is US then the wipping sound can be heard on startup while there is minimal oil around it. Engine stethoscope helps once its going and the diesel knock has subsided.

Can some one explain this "wipping" noise on start-up?

Can some one explain this "wipping" noise on start-up?

sounds like something metal is tapping on the inside of the engine block, like the chain is coming into contact with something it shouldn't i guess

2009 2.5l

Hi Stepho

I have a 2009 2.5L D22, 53000km, and it is also making a loud rattle from the timing chest on start up. It seams to happen on the cold mornings (or arvos) and sounds like something is loose under the cover. I have had it to Nissan twice and both times it hasnt made the noise for them, Murphys law, but I have video taped it and given them the footage. We have changed the oil to a 5w-40 from the 15w-40 but this didn't help at all. Is your engine the 2.5L? After changing out the timing set did the rattle noise go and leave the noise around the EGR port area or is the rattle still the same?

A mate at work has an 07 d40 2.5 his timeing chain broke at 90,000. Lucky for him Nissan fixed it with a $24,000 new engine. He tells me the noise was very deffinate and easy to pic . If u put on ear muffs and use a screw driver to listen to the timeing covers u can hear the chain rattle. I have an 08 d22 and has an intermittent rattle to so maybe i should take the front covers off , would this give me a good idea if the parts are on the way out ?? Could i see what i need to ??
steve

Guys,

The rattle is very obvious. Its a real crack, tap, crack, tap etc harsh as. Even after having the chains and tensioners replaced the thing still does it for the first 5 - 10 seconds on a cold start up. Get it fixed, record it, get a screwdriver with a solid shaft and have a listen around the timing cover/fuel pump etc. It sticks out like the proverbial. Good luck. Mine was a $3k fix under warrenty.

put engine treatment through it, i did and the noise has disappeared completely
I wonder if your noise was somethin else????? The tensioner is a spring isn't it? I mean if the tensioner was hydro then I could understand it clearing with an additive.
Dunno?????

Latest posts

Back