strange light show on the dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcs

Reaction score
driving along the highway at 110, noticed the battery light and the handbrake on light illuminated. handbrake was not on, as i applied the hand brake and it beeped as normal. car ran as normal, about 10/15 mins later, both started to flicker, then went out. never reappeared again!
any clues, just for curiosity?
eric

Check the connection of the cable to the brake fliud resovoire. Hand brake light doubles up as a low fluid warning. Check the fluid level too!

oil level is within limits, and bounced my way up and down the beach without it coming back on. the battery light coming on at the same time is the weird one!

It's possible that there's a small amount of oxidisation/debris in the connector on the brake fluid reservoir. Same can be said for the IPDM/ER and the ECU too - although the ECU earth is usually more of a problem, because the cable connector to the ECU is quite a secure one.

Has anyone pressure-washed your engine bay recently?

It's possible that there's a small amount of oxidisation/debris in the connector on the brake fluid reservoir. Same can be said for the IPDM/ER and the ECU too - although the ECU earth is usually more of a problem, because the cable connector to the ECU is quite a secure one.

Has anyone pressure-washed your engine bay recently?

hi tony, have been waiting for your input:)
i'll check the connection better tomorrow, curious as to why the battery lt came on as well.
and yes, i do pressure wash my engine bay occasionally, but it's been a while since!

Check the connection of the cable to the brake fliud resovoire. Hand brake light doubles up as a low fluid warning. Check the fluid level too!

handbrake light and low fluid warning are 2 separate circuits on a D22
my guess is a bad connection on dash or a bad earth to dash cluster

found this from an earlier post

Default Part number for replacement d40 alternator
Hi Mxnut,
I'm in need of a replacement alternator for my D40 navara too. Not for the same reason - but I think an electrical short stuffed the regulator and rectifier - causing the alternator/battery light and also the handbrake light to show on the dash.

I've been given the price from Nissan at $1800 AUD + fitting which is a joke. I see that you've managed to get one at a much more reasonable price. Any chance of finding out the part number for the replacement alternator??

Thanks

Wow, that's exxy. Makes you want to price up a bicycle dynamo x200 and hook them in.

I found this on eBay. It's a little bit cheaper, certainly much more reasonable! When I viewed that one, I saw this one which claims it's brand new - twice the price of the first, but it's not used (the first link I provided is for a used item).

fingers crossed i won't show up again. as the lights were on for about 10/15 mins, then faded away, hopefully it's just a glitch.
the alternator was replaced at 50k because of the front pulley issue. it dropped of to the ground at the nissan dealership while the mechanic was looking at the noisy, non charging alternator. as it had just run out of warranty, they paid for the parts( new rotor and lock nut) and i paid the labour. was happy with that.
so i would like to think it's not that again, that the replacement was of better quality.

i'm now getting this brake and battery warning as of this morning.

My voltages suck, My Scangauge says 11.4V and my multimeter straight off the terminals says steady's at 12.2v never goes any higher.

Am i looking at a new alternator here? Is that what people did to fix this?

12.2V with the engine running means the alternator is kaput (2006 D40 had a 'dumb' alternator). Not sure if it's a brushes, regulator or the alternator itself, but there's no output. You could try changing the battery for a good one and see if it's a battery thing, or if that's difficult, stick the battery on a good charger (use a jump pack to power the car while your battery is out, saves losing all the trip meter, radio pin, window position settings etc). If the battery charges normally and has > 12.6V an hour after removing it from the charger then the battery's fine, it's the alternator. If the battery voltage falls dramatically, or the charger hates it, it might be a bad battery.

I have dual battery set-up, so i can remove primary battery easily enough. We have a flash ass battery tester here at work will take it home and put battery through paces. But i have a feeling the alternator is the problem.

$1100 fitted was my first quote.

Latest posts

Back