Steering column or rod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my car serviced yesterday and they notice a knock in my steering when wiggling the steering wheel back and forward, when the car is off. It turned out to be the rod that runs from the rack to the column. It's strange because the part that's gone is after the knuckle join, and I don't know why it just wouldn't have a solid rod from there. At the moment it's relying on the grub type screw in there, as the bush must be flogged out.

Ok what I want to know is that can the bush only be replaced or dose the whole rod have to be. The mechanic got a quote for the whole rod, $420 and he'll fit it for about $80. Which is alright but I just want to know if you can get the rod cheaper or just the bush. And is it a common thing to go on the Navara as we don't really 4wd it?

Mine went on me, replaced under warranty. Apparently (I was told) there were a few D40s with dodgy steering columns - didn't affect the steering, but it loosened the column so it could wiggle a bit and slide in and out, but you still had full control (which is why it wasn't easy to spot).

This is the part I'm talking about.

In the 2nd photo is the grub type pin and at the moment it's relying on that. Like I said I don't know why it wouldn't be just a solid rod from the knuckle joint. Now is there a bush I can get for there or do I have to buy the whole set up? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
You will need the whole shaft. There is a bush in there, and if it wears out the pin is the secondary back-up safety device. I'd be thinking the reason it isn't solid is to reduce vibration harshness up the column.

Black Titanium, was wondering how you got on with replacing that part and did it solve the problem, as I am experiencing the same sort of problem, Cheers

Black Titanium, was wondering how you got on with replacing that part and did it solve the problem, as I am experiencing the same sort of problem, Cheers

My 2010 had a knock in the steering and it turned out to be the steering shaft as pictured above and when replaced under warranty fixed the problem, no more knocking noise.

That shaft would also be made like that for safety. In an accident it would shear and allow the shaft to telescope into itself and prevent upward/inward force on the steering wheel saving the driver.. Go genuine with that one....

Latest posts

Back