stalling after start up and no glow plug light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJJ84

Reaction score
Hi all

Had some weird happenings with the Nav recently, just want to see if anyone has had the same issue.

A few times in the last 2 weeks, I've started the car and walked away and it's stalled within 10-15 secs of being started. When I go to fire it up again, the glow plug light doesn't come on and it cranks for a good 5 secs before it fires.

My inital thoughts are it's a fault relating to the glow plugs but I'm not sure. The car is bog stock with no aftermarket bolt ons or mods (EGR blank etc) and has 53,000km on the clock

It's under warranty so I'll go back to Nissan if it continues, but has anyone else had this kind of issue?

Cheers!

Brett

Yeah mine did that quite a few times and the problem went away with no clue of what it was. It got to the point where I'd start the car, and the only way it'd keep going is if I put my foot flat to the boards - the rpm would rise slowly and as they rose to around 3000 I would back off the throttle. Only then would it idle as expected.

I thought it was my fuel cap, but loosening it didn't resolve the issue. I thought I might have had a loose seal on the fuel filter, and I reported it to Nissan who said they couldn't see anything. It hasn't happened in the last 30,000km or so, so I figure it's gone away.

Mine has done this a few times since i got it a few months ago ( 07 with 180,000 on the clock ). The first time i thought it was due to low diesel and on wrong angle as i was seeing how many km i get out of a tank but then it has happened with a full tank.
Same as Old.Tony said it would stall right after start up and the only way to keep it running was foot to the floor. Its done it early morning, middle of the day and in the rain so i dont think temp has anything to do with it. At first i thought maby it was cold been early in the morning.

thanks Lee, I'm feeling better knowing it's not just mine. I might call Nissan today, seems a few people have had the issue, maybe they've dealt with it before??

thanks guys

could just be bad fuel?

possible, but I'd expect it to it continuously on the one tank if that were the case but it does it once every now and then. I do close to 1000km a week so go through fuel pretty quickly. in saying that, I have heard that the D40 can have issues with injectors and fuel filters should be changed more regularly than the log book says

Thanks Tony. Did your glow plug light stop coming on like mine?

I've always waited for my glow light to go out before I hit the starter and that part's always worked flawlessly in my car.

I don't think mine was fuel related, it happened across fuel purchased all over NSW and Tasmania and I've not felt like the car has been suffering in performance.

I've always waited for my glow light to go out before I hit the starter and that part's always worked flawlessly in my car.

I don't think mine was fuel related, it happened across fuel purchased all over NSW and Tasmania and I've not felt like the car has been suffering in performance.

I always wait for mine as well, but on the occasion it's stalled, I turn the ignition off completely then back on and no glow plug light. hasn't happened since I started the thread, so I'll just keep an eye on it. Mine's never suffered from poor performance either, fuel usage has gone up lately after fitting the bullbar (alloy) but I think this may also be due to towing the boat a few times, not sure if the ECU has changed the mapping to suit towing, might do an ECU reboot and see how it goes

I have noticed that if the engine is already hot, my glow light doesn't come on either. I believe the ECU won't bring the coils on if the coolant is above 85C (might be 80C).

that makes sense but on the occasion it's done this, the engine has been running for 10secs or so from a dead cold start. still hasn't happened again, so perhaps the issue is gone

My issue since new is when I start the car it stops straight away. You can put the foot down and it will rev and die instantly. It can take up to 10 goes sometimes to start it. The other day it did it while I was reversing (which is a first). It has done it cold & hot. Currently it is booked in with Nissan next week so I guess we will see what happens. I have accessories so cant wait to see what they say. I managed to get footage of it this morning by chance as it doesn't happen very often.

My Vehicle is a 2011, D22 2.5

Last edited:
My issue since new is when I start the car it stops straight away. You can put the foot down and it will rev and die instantly. It can take up to 10 goes sometimes to start it. The other day it did it while I was reversing (which is a first). It has done it cold & hot. Currently it is booked in with Nissan next week so I guess we will see what happens. I have accessories so cant wait to see what they say. I managed to get footage of it this morning by chance as it doesn't happen very often.

My Vehicle is a 2011, D22 2.5

that's crazy mate. how old is the car? mine did it again yesterday. fired it up, walked away to get something from inside, come back and it's not running! it's booked in for a service (not with Nissan) on Thursday, so I'll see what the mech thinks.

I mate told me yesterday to only run Shell diesel in the Nav's as apparently it's the cleanest diesel out, anyone heard that before? as a rule, I stick clear of Shell like the plague, being a bike rider, I only run BP Ultimate in bikes and have a Caltex fuel card so the Nav only gets Vortex Diesel, I've never heard anyone give Shell a wrap like that before!

... I've never heard anyone give Shell a wrap like that before!

I'll give shell a wrap - I now have refuelled my D40 122 times over 106000km since new and reckon that I've used Shell for at least 100 of those. Only time I don't use Shell is when I'm in a place where I can't get it. Works well for me.

Shell works the same for me (even though some Shell servos like the one at Marla in SA sold Mobil fuel). We've bought 16,393 litres of diesel at a cost of $24,280 over the nearly 110,000km life of this car (and yes I still have the receipts to all but a couple of tankfuls). I'll usually buy from Shell, I've bought some from Caltex and a few times from BP. I have had to resort to Metro on a couple of occasions.

that's crazy mate. how old is the car? mine did it again yesterday. fired it up, walked away to get something from inside, come back and it's not running! it's booked in for a service (not with Nissan) on Thursday, so I'll see what the mech thinks.

I mate told me yesterday to only run Shell diesel in the Nav's as apparently it's the cleanest diesel out, anyone heard that before? as a rule, I stick clear of Shell like the plague, being a bike rider, I only run BP Ultimate in bikes and have a Caltex fuel card so the Nav only gets Vortex Diesel, I've never heard anyone give Shell a wrap like that before!

I've had the vehicle since new, it now has approx. 45,000 on the clock. The same thing happens as yours actually. In the mornings I can start it up walk to the gate to open it and the cars turns off. Most times though it just constantly starts and stops for a few minutes. Just dropped it to Nissan now, they didn't want to see the video I took of it as they said its pointless? They allocated 2 hours to look at it, anytime over that I have to pay for unless it ends up as a warranty issue. I have a turbo timer and a K&N filter so I guess they might pull the mods card out. Stay tuned. Hopefully its a idle issue or something although I can have the foot flat and it will still turn itself off.

I've never had the accelerator down when mines stalled, but I have been idling out of the carpark at work and it died, it's very strange. definitely let us know what Nissan say, if mine keeps it up, I'll definitely be taking it in

Good news, Just got the call from Nissan and they said it is a faulty Suction Control VALVE. I will give you all the detailed version once I pick the vehicle up this afternoon. Covered under warranty also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back