So called Side steps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobby

Reaction score
I have a D40 ST and have never liked the factory side steps. So i have looked at the so called side steps/rock sliders from ARB, TJM, Ironman ect, and after having previous experience (on other 4wd's) I found they give little protection for the sill and different mounting issues/problems that I dont like with each.

So I have desided to build replacement side steps (not sliders) for my D40 that will utilise the factory side step brackets and bolt positions, which should give better protection that the factory side steps.

My question is, has anyone out there built their own replacement side steps using the factory brackets and bolts positions? If so, would be interested in how you went about it.

I will post progress as I go for any one interested.

And now the question that someone else would be bound to ask if I didn't.

Why not make a set of sliders? They'll give you optimum protection, also act as a sidestep, and are seriously piss easy to mount.

If you're going to all the trouble of making yourself, why not go the whole hog?

Incidentally, how do the sidesteps mount on a d40? On the d22, they're mounted trough the floorpan on the body, which is pretty dumb.

check out what scottybobcat has there is thread on sliders and such that he is making could help you to look and or chat to him.

joshman, the side step mounting bolts are under the sill if that makes sence. The issue with making something solid enough to ack as sliders is the mounting arrangement to the chassie. I dont have a problem with mounting them to the passenger side chassie rail, as you have access to mount it and nothing is in the way. It's the drivers side that is the problem due to the fuel lines and sroud that run on the inside of the chassie rail. These are in the way and most mounting arrangements that I have seen rub on them.

kevinm1962, I have looked at scottybobcat's side steps/sliders and they are great, however the mounting arrangement of welding plates to the chassie rails is what I want to avoid.

joe2006 said:
I thought the mounting brackets for most of the sliders are welded to the chassis & that is enough to put me off?

No no no, you've got it all wrong, sliders are bolted on. A 'U' shaped bracket that goes around the chassis rails from the bottom with a bolt through the top to secure it is the most common method of attachment.

And it's hella strong.

Thats the problem, due to the fuel lines on the inside of the drivers side chassis rail the U clamp wont fit around the chassis rail without rubbing on the fuel lines. Plus on the passenger side there are lines that run on top of the chassis rail.

I'll have another look and see if I can engineer something to avoid moving the fuel lines and wont rub.

No no no, you've got it all wrong, sliders are bolted on. A 'U' shaped bracket that goes around the chassis rails from the bottom with a bolt through the top to secure it is the most common method of attachment.

And it's hella strong.

That was something dismissed because I had seen mounting plates welded to the chassis during installation.

Bugger the list gets longer while eating into my GVM.:laugh:

Edit: Missed the above post. Now the issue with fuel lines to consider. Better have a good look I suppose.

Last edited:
+1 on sliders..im making up some at the moment and making 3x 10mm brackets (each side) to suit the chassis cables...just wing it!!

So I have looked into it further. Firstly, you can weld to the chassis rail but it will have to be engineered approved, however it will void part of your warranty. Sliders are only allowed to be bolt on.

Secondly there is to much shit in the way (fuel lines and shrouds) to worry about, so i'll stick with plan (a), using the factory brackets and mounting bolts.

I'll post pics of my progress

You know the first time you land on something slightly hard it gonna bend the factory mounts like butter yeah? if you dont go to the chassis rail its gonna bend the sil/floorpan very easily its only sheet. just my opinion but.
Dont know about the d40 but on the d22 you will notice that the chassis rails sits lower than the side step to try and prevent them from destroying the floor pan. Ie hits chassis rail not side step

Last edited:
Progress so far. Went and got the metal required and for under $100. One side is made and on the Nav. All it needs is a bit of a clean up and paint, then to start the other.

Attachments

• Stuff and that 025.jpg
    Stuff and that 025.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Stuff and that 026.jpg
    Stuff and that 026.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 178
  • stuff and that 2 002.jpg
    stuff and that 2 002.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 199
  • stuff and that 2 003.jpg
    stuff and that 2 003.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 196
  • stuff and that 2 004.jpg
    stuff and that 2 004.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 193
All made. Now to clean them up and paint them. For what I do they will be fine, not planning on slidding over rocks with them, plus they look better than the factory side steps. They give alot more protection than the factory steps also.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 163
nice sidestep, should checker plate the top

the only issue with these is if you stand on the hard enough you will bend your cab or if you do any 4wding at all you will probably find that you drop into a hole and again bend your cab.

speaking from my side steps, they bolt through holes in the chassis and only have the u bold in the middle, which doesnt actually rub on any of the lines.

d40ryan do you have photos of your sliders and how they mount to your chassis? Whould be interested to see.

Scotty and Ryan, These are only side steps (for now) I would not be using these as sliders as they stand. Scotty I've seen your sliders and they look the goods , however its the welding to the chassis that worries me.
I'll be looking into different mounting arrangements over the next couple of days, to try and come up with the easiest way to mount sliders to the chassis without moving, welding or modifying anything on the chassis.

Welding them to the chassis isn't a problem. As long as they are welded properly with heating the chassis up first with an oxy and allowing to cool at the same rate it will not effect the integrity of the metal. The reason we made them a weld on plate wasbecause of the fuel and brake line issues. Cheesy sliders were even welded on to patrols and land crusers. As long as you can unbolt them they are legal as they are a bolt on accessory.

Back