Rock sliders fixed to chassis with U bolts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40-4Life

Reaction score
Got some MCC rock sliders or as they like to call it, side steps for my 2007 spanish STX. These come with three attachment plates per side where you attach them to the chassis via U bolts and fasten them on the side of the chassis, facing the outside. See the pic below. They look similar to these.

sidestep.jpg

So I started on the passenger side, the ubolts fit fine in the middle and the back bracket. However I have notice that the chasis at the front end of the rockslider bracket pouint is shorter than the middle and rear point of attachment. The chassis just tapers in at the bottom and is slightly shorter by about approx 7mm. The top of the chassis remains straight. Boggles the mind why Nissan would do this. Anyway these MCC rock sliders have plates and u bolts that are all the same size and do not accomodate this change in chassis size at the first attachment point. My crude drawing illustrates. The right side shows this tapering in to a shorter chassis. The plates and ubolts are all the same size. The holes are where the U bolt attaches to the plate.

Picture.png

Here is my thoughts. I may need to place some metal shims at the bottom of the chassis where the u bolts would normally sit up against the chassis, otherwise its going to move up and down if something hits the rock sliders from below. Particularly where the chassis gets smaller.

I've notice very little room between the top of the chassis and some sort of (assumed) brake line or something (on my passenger side). I had to jimmy the gap with a screwdriver to make room for these ubolts to slip through. If my rock sliders where to move up when it hits a rut, the U bolts might pinch or cut this brake line. Would that be a wise assumption?

Can someone confirm this has been their experience when installing side steps with U bolts on their spanish D40? and is shimming the way to go?
I need some advice on how to install these so I dont damage the lines or other parts of this vehicle.

I probably should have gone for a set of more robust rock sliders than these as the U bolts just don't look like they will do the job. ie hold them securely. The U bolts themselves look like they are high tensile but the lock nuts that come with them are zinc coated lock nuts. I don't think these are high tensile, but the threads on these are more denser and not the sort of nuts or U bolts you can get from bunnings.

Just looking at the driver side chassis, there is a spaghetti jumble of solid lines all around the back of the chassis I'm going to have to be careful about. These vehicles just weren't made for mods that well.

My rock sliders were (expertly) welded on.

Putting a shim in to remove any chance the U-bolts could bend or twist the chassis rail is a good idea.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to buy normal HT nuts to match the U-bolt thread (from a place like Blackwoods, say) and use the nylocks to hold them in place? You'd achieve both goals, the HT nuts would secure the U-bolt in place and the nylocks would retain the HT nuts.

Thanks tony.

I won't try to get these welded as I'm a bit uncertain what and who is an expert. Don't want to weaken the chassis.

I've investigated shims and the best I could get were just mild steel square washers which would be better suited then round washer. The high tensile U bolt might cut through the mild steel wouldn't you agree?

I don't think I could use nuts as the spacer as its not thick enough. and the threads in it might damage the U bolt. The U bolt that contacts the chassis does not have any threading.

Does anyone know what sort of lines running along the top of the passenger side of the main chassis rail?

Last edited:
Any luck fitting the side steps?
Did you use shims (or a spacer) to better locate the u-bolts?
Did you have a corresponding hoe in the chassis for every mounting point?

I've just bought a 2nd hand set similar to yours and I've encountered some fitment issues....

Latest posts

Back