Side Step fixed bolts snapped off.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titan360

Reaction score
G'day everyone, on the weekend during our camping trip in the south west, a mate and I went for a run on Bob's track (West Aussies will know it), the passenger side step copped a big hit and snapped all three of the lower fixed bolts (see photo)....I was planning on modifying the step brackets to bring them up and in more, with a long term plan of getting sliders eventually....

My question is do rock sliders use these fixed bolts or are they attached another way? I can't really have nothing there as my wife is short and doesn't find it easy getting in now and it's standard lift at the moment LOL.

Attachments

• IMG20220316121313.jpg
    IMG20220316121313.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
I was surprised how tiny the bolts for the side steps were. Mine came loose a couple of times but steps are gone now. My littlest struggles to get in initially without the steps on, but it’s been so long has grown enough now.

Just need to fab up some brackets for the steel steps I’ve got. Planning to bolt to the chassis rather than weld to it.

This must be a thing.
The D40 I recently bought came with a slightly loose factory side step on the port side.....and a factory side step sitting in the tub....like a souvenir.
Apparently Old Mate bashed it so hard the mounting points are a write off on the starboard side. He was a bit sheepish about it, but the rest of the truck presented so well I didn't mind.
So at the moment wifey & the youngest offspring get an easy climb up.....and myself & the lanky eldest have to free-solo up (truck is now slightly higher than factory).
I haven't had a proper look underneath yet, but I'm planning to either re-attach the injured one, or grab a better one from my old man (he has two sets).
I figure I'll prolly be drilling out snapped bolts and re-tapping the holes.....but I dunno how munted the chassis holes are yet.

Long term I dunno which way to go TBH. I'm planning some semi-serious off roading around Tasmania (and maybe the big island).

Do I...
a) Re-attach starboard side step and then treat both as sacrificial when off-roading?
b) Remove port side and run with "naked" sills?....which offers more clearance....until it doesn't.
c) Go full proper sliders?....but spend more $$$ farken.

This must be a thing.
The D40 I recently bought came with a slightly loose factory side step on the port side.....and a factory side step sitting in the tub....like a souvenir.
Apparently Old Mate bashed it so hard the mounting points are a write off on the starboard side. He was a bit sheepish about it, but the rest of the truck presented so well I didn't mind.
So at the moment wifey & the youngest offspring get an easy climb up.....and myself & the lanky eldest have to free-solo up (truck is now slightly higher than factory).
I haven't had a proper look underneath yet, but I'm planning to either re-attach the injured one, or grab a better one from my old man (he has two sets).
I figure I'll prolly be drilling out snapped bolts and re-tapping the holes.....but I dunno how munted the chassis holes are yet.

Long term I dunno which way to go TBH. I'm planning some semi-serious off roading around Tasmania (and maybe the big island).

Do I...
a) Re-attach starboard side step and then treat both as sacrificial when off-roading?
b) Remove port side and run with "naked" sills?....which offers more clearance....until it doesn't.
c) Go full proper sliders?....but spend more $$$ farken.
I damaged one of mine so one side with and one without. One mounting bolt broke and I would have no hope getting a drill in there but it would be OK without one bolt.
When I hit mine, it put a small dent in the bottom of the front guard. So while you could treat them as sacrificial, they offer no significant protection and can potentially cause damage when it would not have otherwise occurred.
They do help protect the sills a little from stones flicked up from the front tyres as well as offering some protection to the side of the car from sticks.
In regard to protection, with the exception of Durex, my best investment was installation of bash plates, which have saved me on a number of occasions, mostly just in the paddock.
If I was doing serious 4WDing, I would invest in sliders with strong mounts at several places along the chassis.

after market heavy duty side steps will be the best fix for most people, if you have already damaged the factories its only a matter of time until it happens again.

full sliders are a bit of overkill for most, and don't offer an as usable step.

you can go a cheapish set from online or spend a bit extra and go with a brand name like mcc, iron man or arb. then you can add side rails too if you like.

bash plates are pretty much a must if your needing replacement side steps.
one thing to consider is compatibility between bashplates and bull bars, and side rails and steps if your going to go that way.

Latest posts

Back