snorkel test

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate

Reaction score
Hi
I have heard of stories about people who have had trouble with snorkels not being fully sealed and allowing water in.
What is the best way to test this without obviously submerging my vehicle?

Thanks

1 Turn engine on
2 cover air intake with hand
3 if engine splutters/stalls it is sealed, if the engine continues to run fine, you know you have an air leak

dont hold it on too long, i did and popped some the silicone out from the holes that you plug. It was an easy fix, at least i know shes water tight.

Some people put a plastic bag over the snorkel to check it, not sure if I would do this or not as the you may end up causing a leak that was not there in the first place. Wish I had fitted my own now , I would have gone over the top with the amount of silicone I used and made sure it was done right first time.

When i tested the one Nissan fitted, I didn't completely block it completely, but just enough to make it suck harder and noisier through the snorkel with nothing audible below. We haven't taken it for a swim yet, but I'm confident it will be fine.

installed mine myself and used a piece of rubber mat to cover the pipe before I put the ram on. The the other day before a trip I decided to check and put a plastic bag over the ram and it had enough suction against the plastic bag to pop the little rivets holding the mesh on in the air ram. Then had to wire the mesh back in place. But at least I know it is still sealed.

Back