Heater issue D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philw66

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hello from NZ

Im Looking for some ideas about a heater issue I've just purchased a 2011 Nissan Navara d22 YD25DDTI with 187,000 kms on the clock.
Anyway the heater is being very odd first it blow cold no heat and the bottom radiator hose was cold after a long drive, engine at operating temp?
I took the thermostat out and tested it opened and shut in boiled water put it back in then I got heat with the heater turned off, as soon as you turn the fan to 1-4 it blows Luke warm to cold? This morning I pulled the heater hoses off at fire wall and connected to hose and flushed it out the flow was about a 3rd of the hose pressure? Is that correct I expected more flow? Any way no change so I have installed a new thermostat and now the heater is completely cold and the bottom radiator hose is still cold? Heater hoses at the firewall are hot.
Where should I look next? Can the Water pump cause these issues? Any and all advice would be appreciated
Cheers Phil

Last edited:
pump is a possibility, but its highly likely that the heater and radiator are blocked.
just check the heater flaps are working. the water flows through the heater all the time and you adjust the air flow going through the heater.

not uncommon if the engine has been overheated for the crap inside the block to break off and clog the radiator and heater.

pump is a possibility, but its highly likely that the heater and radiator are blocked.
just check the heater flaps are working. the water flows through the heater all the time and you adjust the air flow going through the heater.

not uncommon if the engine has been overheated for the crap inside the block to break off and clog the radiator and heater.
Awesome thanks for the reply. That makes sense as it started to work now doesn't again so I dislodged something? The water was a rusty brown colour so I'll flush the block and radiator and try flushing the heater the opposite way to water plump flow maybe it might flush it out?? Cheers

you will probably need a flushing chem. probably something pretty harsh, there is a few household things you can use. i can't remember what i used last time.

however new radiator and water pump would not be a bad idea.

also do not forget to air bleed the system. old trick is to nose the ute up a bank and get radiator above top of heater hose. they do tend to air lock in the heater pipes.

you will probably need a flushing chem. probably something pretty harsh, there is a few household things you can use. i can't remember what i used last time.

however new radiator and water pump would not be a bad idea.

also do not forget to air bleed the system. old trick is to nose the ute up a bank and get radiator above top of heater hose. they do tend to air lock in the heater pipes.
Update, ran water thr opposite way through the heater and got alot of sludge out! Flushed everything out and checked water pump all good pumping strong. Bleed the system and the heater now works great. I will now remove the radiator and get it flushed and checked as there has to be sludge in there also but interestingly I spoke to a Nissan dealer head mechanic who didn't think the bottom radiator hose being cold after a long trip was a issue. He said the d22's don't overheat like the d40's do but did agree with cleaning the radiator out for peice of mind.

the nissan stealership is taking bollocks. the bottom hoses should be warm. it shouldn't be hot, but it also should not be cold.
if you have that much sludge in the heater i'll bet the radiator is the same.

the nissan stealership is taking bollocks. the bottom hoses should be warm. it shouldn't be hot, but it also should not be cold.
if you have that much sludge in the heater i'll bet the radiator is the same.
Yeah that was my first feeling just doesn't sound right...... yeah radiator has to be blocked up as well.
Once I get it flushed out im picking the hose will get warmer I'll let ya know.

Latest posts

Back