Should I buy a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LORTAPUG

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking at sending around 20g on a 4wd dualcab ute for a number of reasons.
Replace Ageing Corolla (never let me down) bigger second car would be nice.
Growing family (2 kids)
Being able to pick up and drop off stuff. General round the house type stuff, garden etc
Tow a box trailer occasionally (750kg loaded)
Get me to work and back
Put kids bikes and toys and wet dirty stuff in the back
And do weekend runs on the beach (easy beach 4wding)

Basically the navara will be the second car and workhorse ( light work )

Already own a patrol we use for towing the camper and that's decked out for touring, this will be the main car for weekend trips, holidays and 4wd trips.

So I've been reading the forum a bit and it scares me the amount of problems and complaints about vehicles with a few years and Kay's on them.
Should I be looking elsewhere?
For 20k I can get an 08-10 with 90-100 '000 Kay's
What's do you guys reckon ( probably a bit biased from member here😄)

Hi mate,

For 20k and the kms you are looking at I would say it would be hard to find anything but a D40. I have had two D40's and love em. My first was a 2010 Thai built and never had and issue until over 100,000ks (can't remember the exact kms) had to do a front wheel bearing but I think that was due to some reasonable 4x4ing and the wrong off set for the car and I did have the clutch pedal crack the fire wall too which was fixed. I traded the rig in at about 160,000 ks and brought my current Spain built titanium and have done 70,000ks (in just over a year) and no mechanical problems at all yet. So yeah I would definitely recommend a D40 to you just make sure it has had full service history and we'll looked after and you should be fine. I'm sure there are more experienced guys on here that can tell you what to look out for in more detail.

Hope this helps you some what

Justo

And welcome to the forum mate, I have found some of the guys on here are very helpful and know there stuff.

Justo

Yep, as above, very happy with my D40, bought new in 2013 and coming up to the 40k km service now. It's fast, comfortable, extremely fuel efficient and has a fantastic 4wd system. Tows heavy loads comfortably, good brakes for a ute.

Regarding the many problems you read about on here, it's worth remembering that 80% of people on these kinds of forums only get here because they have/had some kind of problem. The great majority of people who just drive the cars every day and never have major problems you never really hear about.

It may be worth having any potential vehicle looked over by a good mechanic, he should be having a listen to the timing chain, check the ECU for any fault codes etc.

There really aren't that many problems with them these days. Early models had major issues with clutches, some Spain models from certain years had issues with timing chains. 90% of other problems that are diagnosed on this forum are either the suction control valve that needs replacing, vacuum lines that hardened with age and are not sealing properly or bad fuel issues.

Are there any particular year or models to look out for. There is a tidy 2011 RX with 130000 in my area for $22000.
What would people recommend. Older car with low k's ('08 100000) vs newer car higher k's ('11 130000)
And does anyone know if an 11 RX has child seat anchors?

Are there any particular year or models to look out for. There is a tidy 2011 RX with 130000 in my area for $22000.
What would people recommend. Older car with low k's ('08 100000) vs newer car higher k's ('11 130000)
And does anyone know if an 11 RX has child seat anchors?

If you can get the newer 140kw engine that would be better, from what I know is the older Spain built modles had some issues so if you get an older modle get a Thai built, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I know my 2010 Thai built had no child anchors, the dealership had to put them in for me but I can't comment on there modles or years in that regard sorry. Also I had a manual and the clutch held up for well over 100k from memory and I towed a boat around (5.00 fibreglass) also my brake pads were still good at a 130000 odd ks but I held a few people reported issues around 30-40k but from memory thay where the Spain built

go for a lower k navara as you would with a lower k patrol , just about the same vehicle NISSAN. actually my friend sold his Patrol for a Navara when he drove his mates D-40.

go for a lower k navara as you would with a lower k patrol , just about the same vehicle NISSAN. actually my friend sold his Patrol for a Navara when he drove his mates D-40.

I was sorta leaning toward the other way actually. Searching carsales and I can find 12 - 13 models with 120-130 thousand Kay's for 22-25grand. Rather say than an 08 with 80-100
They are newer, better safety features, more powerful engine and from what I can gather the clutch is sorted by then. And timing chain if I remember rightly but please corect me if I'm wrong
I won't be selling the patrol for this. The wagon is good for the missus to put all the stuff in the back and keeps dry and safe, plus it's got an engel and its lifted locked and ready to rumble.
This navara will be staying standard apart from maybe decent tyres and maybe a few engine reliability and performance mods and see very little if any 4wding.

in defence of the older models, i have an 06 STX auto(series 1), so spanish without a DPF. it now has over 200k, 150k by me over the last six years. apart from some T/C shudder at 100km/h in lockup, the only money iv'e spent is for a alternator clutch pulley and a rear diff pinion seal, thats it. touch wood, the engine is as smooth as the day i bought it!

And which should I be looking for Spain or Thai built?
Is one regarded as better then the other.

And which should I be looking for Spain or Thai built?
Is one regarded as better then the other.

I think at the end of the day look at each D40 on its own merit, you are going to find both modles had there own issue depending on who you talk to. From 2014 all the engines are 140kw so if you can grab one of them, having said that When I traded my 2010 Thai built in at 160000 it was still running like new. I only got the new Titanium for work (tax) purposes and also I know someone in Nissan so I got a good deal:rock:

Last edited:
Thanks for your input justo.
Looking on carsales I should be able to pick up a 11-13 year model for 20-25000 with 100000 odd Kay's.
I don't want to spend what a '14 would set me back as it is going to be the second car and I don't really need a flash ute.
But I do want something good, reliable and that will last a few years.
Cheers for the feedback guys

I bought my 2010 Thai Built RX D40 a few months ago.

Although I love the car, I'd be very very picky buying a new one. Make sure the engine is quiet, I was bitten with a $3700 repair bill a month after purchase of the car due to the timing chain being really noisy, I didn't notice this when at the car lot. My mechanic also mentioned that it has definitely had the chain done before, the car only has 140,000K's so to be on its 3rd chain is pretty poor.

If I were to buy another D40 I'd get the 6CYL diesel, maby even the petrol, but fuel consumption would probably br pretty high. I'd also try get a model with the 7 speed gearbox. The 6Cyl Diesel and the 7 speed is probably not affordable in your price range tho.

If you go with the YD25 Diesel make sure the engine is smooth and quiet, make sure there is no odd hesitations or surging and that the power delivery feels good. If the car has its papers look and see if it has had it's timing chain done recently, frankly its a good thing if it has.

Don't take this too negatively, I'm just a bit gun shy from my experience. Other than a few mechanical issues I have really enjoyed the car, its quite capable in stock form and the YD25 despite being a bit fragile performs really well. I had mine dyno tuned and the car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! The D40 has great 3rd party support and in my opinion is one of the tougher looking rigs!

Good luck!

Thanks mattwij
V6 petrol is out of the question, I've had v6 petrol 4wd before and they're way too thirsty for my liking.
V6 diesel would be nice but is out of the price range. And for that kind of $$$ I think I'd be looking elsewhere.
It is a bit worrying the amount of dramas people have and reports of common expensive repair bills.
Like it's been said, forums attract people with problems and there's heaps out there driving around trouble free.
Still for the price they seem good value and for money.

Last edited:
......It is a bit worrying the amount of dramas people have and reports of common expensive repair bills.
Like it's been said, forums attract people with problems and there's heaps out there driving around trouble free.
Still for the price they seem good value and for money.

Yeah people come to forums either for opinions on upgrades or if they have a problem, I'm sure if you were to look at Hilux forums or Triton forums etc they would all have "Its the end of the world" type problems too.

If you get a good Nav it will likely treat you well as long as you look after it, just make sure you be a bit picky when it comes to the car you get. Like you say, they are good for the money, and even after my expensive repair I'm still satisfied with the car and still good for the money including the repair cost!

When I was looking at buying cars before I picked up my D40, every single car I looked at I ended up with information overload and its easy to get scared off any car after reading whats on the net.

also my brake pads were still good at a 130000 odd ks but I held a few people reported issues around 30-40k but from memory thay where the Spain built

My 2013 spain built had its front pads replaced at 50k, they were completely shot. Mechanic mentioned from factory it is a soft pad. Replaced them with Bendix :)

I've had no issues with mine, it's the 140kw ST manual. At 60k now, clutch it fine, just regular servicing costs. I put a canopy, steel bar and winch, ARB bash plates and dual battery system (redarc), I love it. It's in much need of a lift though, sagging due to the extra weight

Latest posts

Back