Shit loads of white smoke and lots of oil in turbo piping

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahooody

Reaction score
I have got a lot of white smoke blowing out the exhaust and there is a lot of oil in all the intercooler an turbo piping anyone have any ideas. I will be taking it to Nissan tommorrow.

white smoke doesnt sound good... But small amounts of oil in the piping is pretty normal... Every diesel ive looked at has oil residue sitting in intercooler + pipes...

White smoke could be a stuck or sticky injector, perhaps it has some varnish on it or maybe there's some other crud caught in it or some water has oxidised part of it. I remember when this happened to my Jaguar, you couldn't see behind for the clouds of white smoke - bad fuel made the injectors gum up and they needed a sonic clean (twice, actually, and for 12 injectors it wasn't cheap).

The excessive oil might be caused by extra blow-by.

There's also the chance that there's a seal problem in the turbo bearings. Oil is pumped up from the engine to the turbo to lubricate the bearings. This should burn as blue smoke, you'd think ... how's the crankcase oil level? I'd watch that closely.

Might be an idea to fit a catch can and might be worth running an injector cleaner through now and again. Be interesting to see what the Nissan mechanics say the problem is.

Have you done an EGR mod, or chipped the engine?

the oil in the IC, fit a catch can.

white smoke could be injectors failed but also turbo seals can do that also.

If the turbo is rooted ring ATX about there new turbo kit there bringing out.

Dave.

sounds like the turbo seals are knackered. had the exact same thing happen in my old 4 runner. if i remember it cost $500 to get it reconditioned. but dont quote me on that, was along time ago.

Its all sorted there was a boost leak right down at the turbo so couldn't hear it. But I still think there is way to much oil dripping out of the piping Nissan just told me to clean it out and keep an eye on it.

typical nissan don't know jack response :(

you need to fit a catch can.
its the oil in the intake which caused the boost leak in the first place. the oil gets inbetween the hose and the pipe, they do not seal well with oil there.
fit catch can, clean the oil off the hoses and pipes, then the hoses can grip the pipes and will stay sealed very easily.

i'd get the lead of old.tony and keep an eye on the oil level. my turbo got effed during driving and a lot (and i mean batmobile smokescreen like) of smoke went out the tailpipe. lucky the oil level sensor works otherwise i'd be looking at an engine rebuild. if you hear a rattling sound during some engine starts, the turbo would be a good place to look at

Latest posts

Back