Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be sure to research the phones you want before jumping in to make a purchase. Not all Sat phones are the same. My Sat phone is free for life (and no I'm not sharing) but like many it has limitations, they are good to have just incase but they don't work in all locations at all times. Do your home work and don't rely on any one saviour.

Good advice, Krafty.

My satphone is a Thuraya. Damn stupid thing is geostationary over Singapore, which means you need to almost see the northwest horizon to get a service. We were in a valley about 100m deep and couldn't get a service until I climbed up enough so I could see maybe 20 degrees up from level ground.

Mine only works for about 8-10 hours a day (two lots of 4 hours roughly). Very few issues with getting range when the bird is up there but if the bird aint there there is no nattering. It's a lot better to do a few minutes research before you leave home and know when the bird is flying if you need it that spending the wrong parts of the day looking for it when it's not there.

That's bloody weird, Krafty. You'd think they'd all use geostationary - at least I can get a signal any time of day, as long as I can see that part of the sky. Given how flat most of the outback is, I think I prefer it that way!

I was looking for a sat phone can anyone tell me what I need to consider/ look out for? I do a bit of hunting and there are some remote places I go on not Telstra lines in the area and the closest town is just under 2 hours. sorry but I have no idea about these things.

Mine is an old one and the bird does two fly overs a day depending on where you are in the country. Haven't used the thing since I last went to Perth and I've never seen a bill for it so I can't remember which company it's using, it shares the system with someone else, but it works and works really well when the times are right.

Wes
Talk telcos like Telstra and show them the areas you want to travel and let them show you their system works out there. The phone I have is part of a 80 phone set provided to a group who spend their times in and out of the trees around Gippsland. They were provided because they do work most of the time they would be needed, but like every job there is a suitable tool for the job you want and the telcos will be the best to ask.

But before you sign anything get the phone models and services they are offering and search the net for reviews, there is a number of aussie sites that have good reviews and actual users discussing what they have and why.

I had considered Thuraya but heard the further south you went, the more trouble locating a satellite. They sure sound attractive though, only using a satellite when out of mobile range and are a good size phone

Iridium still seems the best option and would be good if you are a Telstra mobile customer because I understand that you can use your post paid sim card from your mobile in the Iridium phone. You can also call using regular phone numbers without having to add or delete number/s, as well as call 000 and 1300 and 1800 numbers. Phones are expensive and mostly involve a plan on a contract period (Telstra told me the minimum was $39.00 per month for 2 years), otherwise calls are hideously expensive on a casual plan. I have read that a $10.00 casual plan is an option but after speaking to Telstra, there was a reason why I couldn't do it. Maybe you had to already own the phone?? Iridium uses 66 odd, low orbiting satellites.

Inmarsat is the least expensive phone and is the pre-paid option. Calls to an Inmarsat phone are at international rates so very $$ and can't ring 000 (yet) and most 1300 or 1800 numbers and therefore need to know the local emergency numbers which may not be convenient or possible. Must point the phone in the direction of the geostationary satellites which I think are over PNG? Need to add the international prefix?? before the phone number etc.

Now this was only my take on things. What is best probably depends on the needs of the individual. I am almost certainly going with Inmarsat.

Providing I can call someone, say in a breakdown, it is better than being up $hit creek without a paddle. If it is a serious medical emergency, your pretty much buggered anyway given how long it will take for someone to get there and you may be better off driving to get help.

Last edited:
My wife and I both have 3G/4G phones and I have a 2G with a 6.5dB gain antenna mounted on the bullbar - my ordinary cellular range is extended significantly, but we still manage to get out of range.

So our satellite phone is purely and only for emergencies. I don't care what the call rate is - if I'm having a heart attack 300km north of Coober Pedy I will pay $100 a minute if it gets me the help that I need. As it is I think my phone costs something like $3 a minute for calls.

In a breakdown situation it's similar. If we're broken down at the Devils Marbles and need a repair, a mechanic might need to drive down from Tenant Creek - that's fine, because once the guy is there we've got a line of communication and it should only take a few minutes on the phone to organise that.

Latest posts

Back