Ride Quality

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
Well I've had the new D40 for almost 1 week now. I never expected the ride to be as smooth as my old AU Falcon, but I didn't expect it to be as rough as it is, I mean it's almost bounce off the seat rough!

My other 4x4 is an '84 Hilux which is raised quite a bit and I think the ride in it may be smoother.

My D40 is a king cab with an ARB steel bar up front and an unloaded alloy tray on the back.

So I'm wondering, how do other D40 drivers find their ride quality??

Mine's a dual cab with a steel bar + winch up front (Nissan replaced the front springs with heavier ones as part of a recall). The rear leaf is original and assisted by an Ironman Load Plus helper spring.

Empty the front end is wonderful and the back a little rough because the vehicle is lighter on the tail. With a normal load (Engel, battery, tools, recovery gear etc) the ride is good and with the van attached (180Kg extra on the rear of the Navara) the ride is great although she sits fairly low.

I need stronger springs on the rear axle, but I know that will make things a little harsher.

I can't say that the ride is bad at all, it's a LOT better than the near-new Ford taxi that we had to get a ride on one night recently. That thing was atrocious.

Come along to the muster, or visit a few locals and go for a ride in their rig. What part of the world are you from?

My only criticism is that the rear is a bit bouncy/choppy, as to be expected, otherwise I think the ride is fine.

Maybe I'm easy pleased?

It craps on my short wheelbase Niva.

Last edited:
I'm down in south west Vic, the roads are really bad all through this part of the state, they signpost the speed down to 80kmh because they don't have the money or inclination to fix them??

Nope, I reckon the ride in the front is pretty harsh. I'm going to be upgrading the front suspension at some point, but I think that will only make it harsher?

I am surprised it's as rough as it is, maybe in a month or so after a few thousand K's she'll loosen up a bit????

I'm surprised at the front end feeling rough. The rear I could understand, but I'm very happy with the front end of my Navara. With the steel bar and winch on, mine was a little soft and lower until the heavier springs were installed, but it was never rough.

Might be worth hopping in another Navara to compare it, and if yours is markedly rougher then get your dealer to look at it.

I'm currently in a D40 ST Manual with only 300km on the clock (loan vehicle while mine is having its satnav looked at). It's also nice and smooth, so I don't think it's an issue with Thai builds although this one doesn't have a bar on the front.

I have a 06 Dual Cab D40 with an alloy tray and when I got mine (2nd hand, had done 80,000kms) it jumped all over dirt roads very dangerously.
I have since installed tough dog all round with OME leafs in the rear and the bucking across the road has stopped but unloaded it is a pretty harsh ride. Going over a normal speed bump (say 20kmh) and the front hopes over normally and the back near throws me out of my seat.

Waiting on a canopy so i can store stuff in the back to get a little bit of weight in to it.

The Nav rides much better when you put weight into it. It settles down the suspension a lot.

Put a steel bar and winch on the front - will help the front end (but you'll get a lot of sag in the front springs)
Put 200kg or more of weight in the tub, and the rear will stop bouncing around as much too.

Dont forget that the Navara's are Work utes, designed to take some weight to settle them down a bit.

I found from stock my springs were sagged so much I was hitting bumpstops all the time which gave it a crappy ride.
I changed to lifted springs and shocks combo and I think the ride is slmost as good as a car.
Although I do have a steel tray putting a bit of weight on the rear which may make a little difference.

Just ensure if you replace the suspension that you have the springs and shocks matched or you will be back at square one.
Easiest way to do it is have either adjustable shocks or same brand shocks as springs as they will have done the testing before putting it out on the market.
Some people have large bore shocks which are stiffer and offer resistance to fade over comfort. I have my adjustable rear shocks wound down to second softest setting anything harder the rear steps out on gravel roads and handles like a crazed crack addict.

Maybe I should put some weight in it and see what happens. Ute's are reknowned for being bouncey when unloaded. It's in for a service this weekend I'll chat to the service guys.

Mine bounces a bit when I go through pot holes at 100km/hr, even with the new suspension (unloaded). With weight in the back it is much better. I would ask to take another one from the dealers for a drive.

I know a friend just bought a new ST and found it rough (having done about 6k km), he thought it was the tyres. He took another one in the dealer for a drive and it was way better. They swapped the tyres and his was like new. He then said ok, I will keep the new tyres (dealer was not happy) so he just drove off and they never complained after that, so he got away with it.

When I replied to this topic I was in a waiting room, waiting 8 hours for my bull bar & canopy to be fitted (finally!).

On the Hume Hwy when returning home, I was thinking about the this topic & thought "gee the bloody ride is a bit harsh". Not sure if it was just that stretch of the road, the new bull bar &/or canopy or my imagination because I was concentrating on the ride.

After I got home I drove into town & forgot all about the ride.

I think I had been concentrating too much on the ride earlier or alternatively maybe I wouldn't know if my ar$e was on fire. :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back