Replacement temp gauge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Parks

Reaction score
This is the factory temp gauge that is in my 06 STR at the moment.
Tempgauge.jpg

I hate it.
What I would like to do is rip it out and fit one with actual numbers in its place.
My questions are
1- Does anyone know of a temp gauge that would fit right in its place?
2- When I change the gauge would I need to change anything else like the temp sending unit?
Thank you for the assistance.
Bill

I was looking at temp gauges a few months back for a different purpose and most of the ones I found were 2 inch gauges, not sure how that measures up to the factory gauge but my guess would be that you'd also have to take the depth into account as it has to fit into the instrument cluster.

I haven't had the instrument cluster of mine out but having had the clusters out of FH-100 Mitsu trucks on a fair number of occasions I know that swapping out the factory gauge for an off the shelf gauge would never have worked due to the depth of off the shelf gauges were.

Might be easier just to use a pillar gauge at least then you may have a bit more choice.

the gauges are all in one and are actually an ECU. you can't really swap them for an after market one.
fit a aftermarket one on dash/pillar etc. use its own sender. you may have to cut into radiator hose or see if theres a spare location on the motor to put a sender in.

Ditto's Tweake. The gauge you're looking at uses a signal sent by the ECU, through the temperature probe, read by the ECU to provide a voltage to the temperature gauge. You can't really replace it as easily as you'd like.

I've got no problem with mine, since if my temp needle is sitting in the usual spot I figure I don't have a problem and if it rises, I better do something about it. I don't need an exact number, all I need is to know that it's "normal" or "not normal" and I'm happy. But that's just me, and obviously there must be more like-minded people around who just want a simple read-out. With other things - like boost pressure, battery voltage - I wouldn't mind some more detail.

Pillar gauges are illegal in NSW (you are not allowed to mount any gauge higher than your instrument panel). Doesn't stop people doing it, and I've never heard of people being caught for it, but it's just something I thought I'd warn you about so that you were aware of it.

I'd go after-market, but I'd probably go Scangauge and use that readout for the temperature (it should have that built in).

Scangauge may not fit an 06 and if it does some of the settings may not be usable but it's definitely worth a check. Mine tells me I'm usually at 91 -94 degrees but like Tony I don't much care about the exact temp as long as I can see it move if it's getting too hot.

I've never had a need to check the rules on pillar gauges but I've never heard of any ruling against them, at least not in this state. With the number of cars mounting gauges on the pillars, the bonnets and the dash the coppers could have a field day enforcing such laws. I've even seen people with scangauges mounted on top of the dash so the gauge can be seen over the wheel whilst still looking forward, under that rule it would make a scangauge illegal.

I was once looking at the pillar gauges to give me an easy to see voltage reading for the second battery but since the one company advertising on ebay don't make them for a D40 I never bothered, looks like it's back to the drawing board and have to I'll mount a little led gauge next to the scangauge under the dashmat.

Scangauges dont work on the ZD30.

I tried one on mine and it didn't work, so I sold it to Jase.

Ditto what the other guys said about the pillar pod gauge.

Dave.

Old.Tony I really dont have a problem with mine I just thought one with numbers would look a bot cooler, but only if it was a simple exchange.
I see it is not a simple exchange so a pillar mount it is.
And as long as I' am at it I may as well install the 3 gauge one.
Think I will do turbo boost, oil pressure and exhaust temp. Not really any point in having two engine temp gauges and I already have a gauge for my 2 batteries.
Thank you for the replies folks I do appreciate it...
Bil

Latest posts

Back