Combination gauge / dash backlights '07 STR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bokbok

Reaction score
Hi team,
I'm trying to replace my dash backlights on an 08/09 STR (Japanese build) but after looking at the guides on youtube and other threads on the forum here I've run into a bit of a problem. For my build, I cant actually find the T5 bulbs/sockets which seem so obvious on other (older) builds. See attached is a pic of the rear of the dash panel. I've also had a look at the service manual and in the electronic sections for all suppliment's up to the year of my nav the bulbs are clearly indicated by the schematic in the EL "meter and gauge" section, but for my year they are not indicated. Possible the bulbs were somehow integrated into the combination gauge and are no longer replaceable? What the Fxxx?

I haven't yet pulled the PCB off the back of the gauge panel as I would need to disconnect the speed/tacho/fuel/temp needles and didn't want to risk breaking anything yet..

Has anyone come across this issue and can help me out to replace the bulbs?
nav_dash_panel.jpg

It looks all the world like they'd be surface mount LEDs on the other side of that board. There are several areas where circuits pass through the board.

If it were my car, I'd be trying to source one from a wreck to play with first, which could also be the source of donor parts if needed.

Hi Bokbok, this is the same problem I encountered on my '09 Thai built unit. There is the easy way and the costly way. Firstly, the costly way. Remove the whole instrument panel and take to an auto electrician to replace the faulty leds.
The easy way - I located a relatively new instrument cluster for $100, replaced that and works perfectly. The only issue is matching your odo readings. Seeing as this unit is my workhorse for hunting trips I'm not concerned about the odo difference. It can be tweaked by an auto electrician if you need to.

A few years back, I had mine replaced but by an Auto Electrician. The old globes has "Silvered".
Somewhere on this forum is the globes I was told to do the replace but the sparkie said no.
New globes were put in but I still can't see the dash until it's pitch black at night. It gives me the sh*ts.
There has to be a way of customizing the dash. Seems LEDS are too bright and I would need a dimmer dial switch.
Is is worth the money to go that far or just replace with ordinary globes.
Best of luck.
PS. almost forgot to say, my old gal is a 2003 jap made Nav.

Thanks for the help, i ill pull apart the dash some more and investigate those surface mount LEDs.

I'm only 50/50 that the problem is the globes as one side of the dash they started flickering on/off for a few months now they don't work at all. Possible this is a wiring issue and not globe at all. Does anyone know if its normal for LEDs to flicker / only work sometime before they go bad?

Latest posts

Back