Recent new clutch, then first gear goes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastik86

Reaction score
Hi all, recently I had a 4Terrain clutch put in when my last one clapped out about 10000km ago.
Noticed the gear stick in first shaking back and forward last week or so, and thought I'd have it looked at when I put it in for a service next week (I know... I should have taken it straight in, but hindsight is a wonderful thing).
Then yesterday on my way to work, took off on slight incline, easy/normal, just crawling with the traffic and then thump, it was like when you think you are just about to stall and you catch it just in time with the clutch, except it popped out of first. Initial hopes (prayers really) were "Maybe I just got lazy and didn't realise I didn't put the stick into first all the way", which proved not to be the case.
First gear gone.
Also notice the (very) occasional slight drag/grind as it goes into fifth.
2nd, 3rd and 4th seem not to have a drama.
So as the title states, is this just a coincidence or could it be a fault in the installation of the clutch or related components more the case?
Didn't notice any issue before the clutch change, apart from the obvious slipping in fourth under load.
Cheers

Last edited:
try changing the oil. they may have put a different spec oil in after draining it when they pulled the gearbox out.
even if they didn't, you should be able to see any metal particles on the plug.

try changing the oil. they may have put a different spec oil in after draining it when they pulled the gearbox out.
even if they didn't, you should be able to see any metal particles on the plug.

I think it's beyond oil change unfortunately, but I took it straight to the joint who did my diff a while back, as a mate's uncle owns it and they do warranty work for a local Nissan dealer near me so they know their stuff.

Tits and tyres

just another thought, i haven't pulled one of these boxes out but i wonder if they had to remove the gear stick and gearstick housing.
i've had it in other utes where the housing is not right or the washer for the stick is worn/broken and you end up with all sorts of gear selection issues.

Mate's uncle who owns the shop said it's a common D22 box problem for em to shit first gear, they chew all the teeth out and the you got no first gear to turn. He said it might be grabbing a little because it has minimal teeth left then when it starts to be put under more load that's when it grinds and pops first gear out. He also said there could be more to it but they won't know until they crack the box open

Will keep y'all posted.

never heard of it being a common problem, in fact the FS5R30A is pretty much a bulletproof gearbox unless you mix up the gearbox oils(or try to force 1st gear after downshifting when it doesnt want to take it, just double clutch). the problem started shortly after you did clutch job so something probably went bad there, not on the gearbox itself.

never heard of it being a common problem, in fact the FS5R30A is pretty much a bulletproof gearbox unless you mix up the gearbox oils(or try to force 1st gear after downshifting when it doesnt want to take it, just double clutch). the problem started shortly after you did clutch job so something probably went bad there, not on the gearbox itself.

Well like I said, these guys do warranty and repairs for a local Nissan stealership, and they said it is a common problem. By this I took it as if the odd one goes it is most likely first gear like mine, not "every second Navara will do a gearbox"

Got the call today. New first gear, handful of synchro rings and a few keys and $2904 should do it.

Better than $4000 plus for a changeover. Lucky not too much more damage than first gear.

Did you get a pic of the opened gearbox and carnage? Post pics. I dont trust mechanics for shit.

Nah, they just rang and gave the report. Nothing I wouldn't have expected seen as I had no first gear when I drove it in.

It's a mate's uncle, and they looked after me with the diff so I trust em.

Latest posts

Back