rear diff swap???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter

Reaction score
i have a 98 navara 3.2l diesel and i want to swap the rear drum brakes for disk brakes. i understand that i have the same rear diff as a patrol and i was wondering if i could just swap in a patrol diff with disk brakes already on it or would it be easier to just put disk brakes on my original diff???

i have a 09 d22 and have been wondering the exact same thing. ill wait for some answers. i just mainly wanna get rid of the drums and have discs all round.

Rusty

How come you want disc brakes all round?

Swapping the whole thing as an assembly may not be possible - you'd need spring hangers to match up, as well as the tailshaft flange. The diff centre is the same but that doesn't mean the axle is exactly the same.

What you may be able to do though is use your existing centre, axle housing and axles, but bolt the disc brake assembly to the axle housing as there is a good possibility that the flange pattern is the same. Then, as the stud pattern is the same you could slip the discs on and away you go. Some fine tuning would be needed, possibly of the load sensing valve, to get the discs to perform correctly as required line pressure is no doubt different as discs are not self-servoing.

This is unchartered territory so you'd have to suck it and see.

Do some research, you'll need to make sure of a few things, that your wheel track (distance between the centre of your rear wheels) stays within modification limits, and you'll need to apply to your relevant transport authority to be able to (legally) change your rear axle/brakes.

As for you rusty, again the same may be possible with making a franken-axle but your axle is not used in anything that comes with rear discs in Australia so there's no direct swap. Again, buy the bits, pull it all apart, and see what fits. Unchartered territory.

well everytime i hit a waterhole my handbrake doesnt work cause the drums are full of water and mud and shit. disc brakes elminates having any problems of having to pull the drums off to clean them.

hmmmm ill have to use google. and wait till i get my shed and vehicle hoists. long time away yet hehe

well everytime i hit a waterhole my handbrake doesnt work cause the drums are full of water and mud and shit. disc brakes elminates having any problems of having to pull the drums off to clean them.

I was hoping somebody would say that. It's not worth doing for any performance advantage in the dry, but when they get muddy/wet discs outperform drums hands down.

Interesting. So your saying that the D22 diff is the same as a patrol. Why then is a diff dealer telling me the D22 and D40 diffs are the biggest piece of shit he's ever come across? he seems to believe and has told me that the diff in my D22 is not a patrol diff, and that its going to cost me 1500 to fix. (its rooted.) I'm not very mechanically minded, but I'm going to ring arb and see if I can install a locker instead of paying this huge bill to fix my lsd. oh and did I mention that if any other parts inside the lsd are broken, then it's could cost up to 3000.

Interesting. So your saying that the D22 diff is the same as a patrol. Why then is a diff dealer telling me the D22 and D40 diffs are the biggest piece of shit he's ever come across? he seems to believe and has told me that the diff in my D22 is not a patrol diff, and that its going to cost me 1500 to fix. (its rooted.) I'm not very mechanically minded, but I'm going to ring arb and see if I can install a locker instead of paying this huge bill to fix my lsd. oh and did I mention that if any other parts inside the lsd are broken, then it's could cost up to 3000.

If your diff is completely stuffed, why not just call around wreckers and get a used one?

What happened to your diff?

I was stuck on a steep hill on the weekend, dam drum brakes wouldn't hold, was a pain in the ass. Did a few river crossings right before the hill so will pull them apart this weekend and check if they have shit in them.

Peteyen86 said:
If your diff is completely stuffed, why not just call around wreckers and get a used one?

Do this, i got a complete rear axle assembly delivered to my door for $850. The diff centre was in better condition than the one were were replacing. Only took me and a mate a few lazy hours on a saturday morning to swap the entire rear axle.

Interesting. So your saying that the D22 diff is the same as a patrol.

No. The rear diff centre fitted to the QD32-fitted series 1 Navara, and some D21 Navaras, is the same as the Patrol (H233b). All ZD30 and YD25 fitted D22 Navaras have a different differential (C200).

Having said that, the general concensus is that the C200, including its LSD centre, is a good unit.

The R200a diff also came out in the D22 v6 models which is the same as the patrol diff. The c200a inthe rear of the diesel models is what the petrols have in the front. What Jason said about the drum hand brake would have to go on the tailshaft. What are the diffs like on the Xtrail because I'm pretty sure they have a disc brake arse end.

well I am now replacing my diff oil, and adding this additive to see if it improves, because I have rang around and a bloke in central diff seems to think that the guys I spoke to in thomastown, should of recommended me doing this before jumping to the conclusion that its stuffed and needs new parts. In other words I could be getting ripped off if something isn't broken lol.

It kinda makes sense being that to be able to get it do what it does, i need to drive it for 20 minutes and warm up the diff before it shudders and makes breaking noises lol.

well I am now replacing my diff oil, and adding this additive to see if it improves, because I have rang around and a bloke in central diff seems to think that the guys I spoke to in thomastown, should of recommended me doing this before jumping to the conclusion that its stuffed and needs new parts. In other words I could be getting ripped off if something isn't broken lol.

It kinda makes sense being that to be able to get it do what it does, i need to drive it for 20 minutes and warm up the diff before it shudders and makes breaking noises lol.

Ive read a few posts about the wrong lsd oil being used in the diffs also which caused problems. Probably not your problem but something to check out i spose.

No. The rear diff centre fitted to the QD32-fitted series 1 Navara, and some D21 Navaras, is the same as the Patrol (H233b). All ZD30 and YD25 fitted D22 Navaras have a different differential (C200).

Having said that, the general concensus is that the C200, including its LSD centre, is a good unit.

What he said.

VG33E, VG30E, QD32 and some D21's got the H233B rear diff.

Same as a GQ, GU Patrol front diff centre.

The C200 is pretty strong.

LSD's pretty good to.

sorry didn't write this sooner. but you would not believe it. I changed the diff oil to lsd 90 and put in a repco brand additive, and its like brand new. No matter how hard I try to get this diff to wobble, sound like its going to break, shudder, whine, or make me think that i've broken something! it just will not do so!! It is fixed!! Happy as!

One thing i will point out, I'm not leaving the additive in there for too long. will be changing oil again in the next 2 weeks, and just putting the lsd 90 on its own.

Note: I did my research on here and rang around the diff places and by golly, thank god I got a hold of a certain diff place I will not name that told me the other joint was ripping me off, and they certainly would of known to do this before trying to sting me 1500 minimum.

Latest posts

Back