Really need the D21 experts advice ASAP

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANHEMP

Reaction score
Ok i am getting out of shape about this new rig im trying to finish looks like i may have done an impeller blade on turbo , look thats all good im just backing off and havent got the $$$ to rectify that at moment my most pressing drama is my lack of depth in my diffs.

Long story short it is my every day drive and truth be told the 4x4 it is likely to undertake is minimal , I have 4:8 as per stamped on engine plate i have spent a month trying to find out what diff or diff centre i can swap into mine to give me some range at 110-120kms.

I have now been told it is a sailsbury diff and nothing i can swap into it , this is ordinary to say the least , this above everything else has to be sorted even if it meant i could just swap the rear i would steer away from any 4x4 until i could match front also , hearing from a few sources you cant swap another into it really pissed me off a real let down after spendin so much on new engine infact ithink it was the engine runnin so hard at 120kms that may have blew my blades.

I thought dont drop bundle until i have confided in the top people on this site who would know for sure so i am pleading with anyone with the knowledge what can i swap into this thing to give me the highway cruising i need and to do the turbo some justice , also any advice about the turbo and my possible options t rectifying this tragedy with the blades which im sure is what i have done when pushing it over 120kms i have spare parts of NA 2.7 if anyone needs em and a calsonic water to air of new engine im happy to part with if people need em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Just because it's a Salisbury diff doesn't mean you can't swap in a new crown and pinion. That is the biggest crock of crap I've heard this week.

Easiest option: Run bigger tyres... 33"

Harder option: If you can take the vehicle off the road, pull the diff and count how many bolts hold your crown wheel to the centre. Then count how many splines on the pinion. Armed with that knowledge visit any wreckers with any D21s and D22s and ask for sets in 4.375:1.

Last edited:
pro nav thank a heap for advice i cant really pull diff apart in hope to find what im after im out in the sticks could i ring nissan and they would feed me the info i need so i can look for what i need i noticed you mentioned 4;3 in a previous post and if i putt 33' om it is running 30 now how much will it gear me down around the 110-20 mark will it be substantial?

Look at the percentages. 10% difference so it will bring your revs down by 10%. Not massive but still worthwhile. 33"s will rub on full lock/full articulation but if you're in a hurry to change the gearing don't worry about it.

I can analyse with fairly good accuracy what you'll have, not sure Nissan will provide much support for a 20+ year old car. What year is your Navara? Is it a single, king or dual cab?

D21 will run a C200 rear diff, old Holdens ran the Salibury rear end.

The diff rear plates are similar that is about all.

D22's run the C200 aswell in the diesels except for the QD32 powered D22.

Dave.

As for the compressor wheel, see a importer for a new turbo. The turbine wheel would be very out of balance and will lead to the turbo completely failing.

Dave.

D21 will run a C200 rear diff, old Holdens ran the Salibury rear end.

When they say Salisbury I think they mean the type of diff construction. The C200 is a Salisbury type diff, whereas the H233b is a Banjo type diff.

The center can be swapped in minutes on a Banjo diff but with a Salisbury it takes longer. Certainly not difficult though.

My bad, I know you know your stuff. I didn't mean to come across as being rude.

Dave.

Pro nav,

Itis a 1992 model navara and it has c48 stamped on the engine plate inside the engine bay

Latest posts

Back