Rattles!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got service done today, rattle was apparently brake lines rattling against firewall.
tried to look but pretty well hidden by brake booster from what i can tell.
all lines appear to be seperated by plastic clamps and i can't fathom how this can be the cause.
touch wood, travelled about 30 k's since picking it up at hasn't made noise yet, was giving it to her all the way home too trying to fault it, fingers crossed!

they also looked at a slight grinding noise when fan directional switched to and from demist, just lubrication but they have got gearing timed wrong on reassembly and now ive got demist air aswell as whetever other setting its on, not a bad thing but its booked in to be fixed in a couple of weeks.

When I took mine back for it's 1000 look over I had to get things like door handles and door hinges lubricated. The drivers door handle still sticks a little bit (and I will fix it eventually) but it always seems they are quick to lubricate things before looking into why they either didn't get the lube in the first place or if there is actually a problem.

I understand that a guy with a can of lube is cheaper than actually asking someone with knowledge if there is a problem but you'd think these idiots would learn that if they don't fix something first time they will get it back and the second time the owner is more p'd off than the first time.

metro nissan at windsor lubricated door hinges @ 10,000 km service, reassly sucks cause i chamois inside door jams and it is so hard to get that shit out of a $40 leather chamois! just be careful what you wish for, i'd rather have done it myself.

Oh don't worry I'll definitely being doing it myself, I'm yet to find a dealer who actually does do all the hinges and handles, they seem to do some if you ask but rarely do them all.

I have the same policy on cleaning tyres which is why I don't use armourall or tyre black to make them look shiny and make sure any time I have to take it back to the dealer that tyre black is not to be used.

Number plate surrounds seem to be another area dealers concentrate on instead of doing the job properly, I usually break those off and leave then at the dealer.

rattle cam back on weekend, luckily nav was booked in to have a/c directional controls adjusted. well, they say they adjusted a clutch line, steel pipe i'm assuming. good try nissan but i didnt even get home (15k's) and it happened again! ring in the morning and book in again, they didnt get a/c right anyway.

Hi guys,
in response to WIR35 and your rattle or knock under braking. I just picked up a new stx a few weeks ago and after about 4 days a knock started coming for the arse end under moderate braking and only really audible when slowing right down. Anyway turns out that the rear drums on these thing aren't a true round and as the pads catch you get the noise. Had the rear drums machined and noise gone. Now I just have a knocking type noise under braking from the rear over bumps......different one, Sounds like something could be loose.

Also under load I have found the plastic housing around the stereo and tray above the stereo to rattle a bit. Plus I get a minor rattle in the drivers door under load from time to time. Not sure what this one is but I'll find it God dammit!! I still love it though.

I fixed the rattle in the dash pocket (above the stereo) by taking it out and padding it with some self adhesive door sealing foam. No more noise.

Still got my friend in the clutch pedal though.

Has anyone had the supposed fix on the clutch master cylinder/check valve done? How long ago? Has it been a permanent fix so far? Noise hasn't come back?

I have the same rattle. It is most obvious on corrugated dirt roads, rail crossings or anything else with high freq vibrations, sometimes just accelerating from the lights if I rev it out.

I've had it back twice to fix it. I got told the same thing re lines rattling against the firewall. I'll see how things go this time.

I fixed the rattle in the dash pocket (above the stereo) by taking it out and padding it with some self adhesive door sealing foam. No more noise.

Still got my friend in the clutch pedal though.

Has anyone had the supposed fix on the clutch master cylinder/check valve done? How long ago? Has it been a permanent fix so far? Noise hasn't come back?

Yes i have had that done about a year ago. Nissan reckon they put a stronger spring thingy in there somewhere, they also wrapped up all pipes on fire wall etc. The noise was back within 2 weeks. I took my private mechanic for a test drive. The noise in the firewall area disappears when you slightly rest your foot on the clutch pedal until the freeplay is gone.

Next step he disconnected the clutch pedal and went for a drive changing gears with no clutch...NO annoying rattle under load.

He pointed out at the top of the clutch pedal there is like a sleeve thing going through the top of the pedal high in the fire wall in the cabin. It resonates sometimes. Tried to explain that to nissan but no good.

I will have to play with it maybe wrap some insulation tape around it.

BONNET SQEAK
Adjust bonnet catch if your bonnet moves up and down a bit.
And shove candle wax in the latch. works for me
cheers

Nissan has since produced a rubber sleeve that clips onto the fuel lines located right under the steering column at the firewall

I'd have to be an octopus to hold every rattle i have in mine now, although a couple of them do come from the new suspension i had put in.

rattle cam back on weekend, luckily nav was booked in to have a/c directional controls adjusted. well, they say they adjusted a clutch line, steel pipe i'm assuming. good try nissan but i didnt even get home (15k's) and it happened again! ring in the morning and book in again, they didnt get a/c right anyway.

Any luck getting the behind dash rattle fixed ?? Mine does it too ! Only under load when towing motorbikes.

mine had a rattle or vibration from behind the dash only under load. i pulled it apart a piece at a time and driving it round the block with every piece i removed until i had the entire dash out bar the steering wheel and passanger air bag. and it was still there with everthing removed. it ended up being the auto gear selector cable up behind the heater box vibrating. it was resonating through everything and made it hard to pinpoint. put some double sided tape up under there and is all good.

got a D40 ST dualcab diesel MANUAL done only 6000km, at idle its OK but when you bring revs to 1400 -1600 rpm with GEAR IN NEUTRAL you can hear like a grind rattle noise sitting inside the car with windows closed you can hear it better. Noticed also that around above RPM there is a slight VIBRATION , this could be causing the rattle. I am not able to locate the rattle yet anyone had this issue know where its making this noise? Is the VIBRATION NORMAL at above RPM when in NEUTRAL, is it torsional vibration? note i have edited this message from previous as i forgot to mention GEAR IN NEUTRAL when revving to 1400-1600 rpm.

Last edited:
markos said:
got a D40 ST dualcab diesel MANUAL done only 6000km, at 1400 -1600 rpm IDLING you can hear like a grind rattle noise sitting inside the car with windows closed you can hear it better. Noticed also that around above RPM there is a slight VIBRATION AT IDLE this could be causing the rattle. I am not able to locate the rattle yet anyone had this issue know where its making this noise. Is the VIBRATION NORMAL at above RPM AT IDLE is it torsional vibration?

You're idle is a tad high at 1400.

WOW, I thought I was the only poor bugger with a "dash" rattle, I am to the point where I am thinking about selling the car, just so annoying, Nissan service is beyond useless, I wish I had found this forum before I bought it, I would have got a Hilux or VW, I am very disapointed with the overall build of this, it is so light weight, pressed tin everywhere under the dash.

I have a 2002 HDJ cruiser with 220,000 km with NO rattles in cab, NONE, this Nav is a joke.

It drives nice, goes well, is good on fuel, but it is put together like a Chinesse motorbike, not happy at all, Headlights are crap too, the worst I have ever seen.

Winge over.

The main rattle sounds like its behind the dash/instrument cluster, I heard it before I was even out of the dealerships yard, revs anywhere above 1400-2200 rm, there it is, in gear, in neutral, anywhere.

It will go away on Super smooth roads at 100 kph no load, but hit a hill, its back.

I have cable tied everything I can see under the dash, I am about to empty 3 cans of expanding foam up there and see how that goes.

It went away for about 100km yesterday, I hit a big pothole, really jarred the car, heard a tinny sound, then nothing, no rattle, anywhere, just silence, was sooooo good, then went over a bridge today on the way to work, same tinny clink, rattle is back, FARK, what do I do.

it is to the point I dont drive it on the weekends, I am back driving the cruiser as it is just a better place to be, or take the Prado, this is not what I wanted, so very cranky with this at the moment.

If some one wants a to buy an as new 6/2011 STX manual, white, stock 5100km, manual, Aug rego, $39,000. let me know, as I would sell it tomorrow and keep my cruiser, it shits me that much, Nissan Service are about as handy as AIDS.

Last edited:
Yah, I've got those annoying rattle sounds interminently (even from new) under heavy loads.. But I found out my rattles come from the cluth pedal.. When I put my foot on the cluth pedal and floor down the acc pedal, the rattle sound depressed but I can feel the vibration at my cluth foot..
Any idea what happened? I had bring to Nissan at least 10 times over a year time span, their mechanics already give me a hard face when my nav arrived.. Haha.. But seems like they can't find the real problem..

Latest posts

Back