Rattle when revved...oh, and "G'day!"

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justAL

Reaction score
G'day folks,

I'm finally up north and due to drive my dad's 03 Dual cab down to Melbourne. 71,000km on the clock and dad being dad took care of his gear!

His Mechanic did a full service on the girl yesterday and noted a rattle when the engine is revved. Everything else checked out normal and all filters and fluids were replaced.

He isn't too familiar with the nuances of the ZD30DET but did point me to a local Diesel Mechanic in Cairns who is and can run a diagnostic computer over it just as a precaution as it is a big trip that I'll be on.

I'm off tomorrow morning to have it checked out but my question is, should I be worried?

Cheers,
Al

I wouldn't think so.The shims might need adjusting or it could be a chain but hard to diognose without hearing it.Take it to the mechanic and see what he says.
Oh and have a safe trip back.Where in Melb are you from

What Scott said.

Where is the noise coming from ? Which part of the engine.

Dave.

Hey Scotty and Dave,

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the head but I haven't really taken the ol' screwdriver to the motor to have a listen. I haven't really noted any issues. It doesn't need any throttle to take off so the take off is good and everywhere else is much the same.

I really would like to learn more about Diesels as I'm use to petrol. I've just assumed a lot.

Scotty, I'm in Cranny North. I can't really say this ute will be for much off roading as it'll be more for my location work in my photography business.

Cheers guys and thanks for the replies. I'm off now so I'll update when I settle down tonight.

Giday Al

sounds like your one of my neighbours ... i'm in Berwick (south)

Good luck with getting the rattle diagnosed, and your trip back south too.

Personally, i'm not too worried about rattles, my car has a couple of small rattles (from engine area) from new. If i wanted a car that didnt rattle, i'd have bought a luxury sedan and not a 4x4 ute.

G'day Woody,

Well that's handy. Anyway folks I'm back, the guys did a check over and ran the diagnostics over the girl before fitting up an ERG block off plate. $65 for the piece of mind and the plate while I waited.

They said she's fine and there's nothing odd about it. Having never owned a diesel before they gave me a walk through of the systems and what to look out for so it was money well spent.

I had a think about it Mick. That rattle I've only noticed with the bonnet lifted and revved in nuetral. I can't hear it on the road under load at all so with the plate in place I still can't hear it.

It's a rather sexy little plate.

Latest posts

Back