Precleaner for Safari

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dog

Reaction score
Does anyone run a precleaner on their Safari Snorkel. If so which one and how do you rate it.
I'm thinking about using a Donaldson Topspin, but haven't commited yet.

I used one of the Unifilter sock type ones that sit inside the top of the safari snorkle once. The oil dried out real fast (couple of months) causing the foam to break down and be caught in the paper filter. I would use one again if I were to travel long distance in convoy with large amounts of dust but would clean out and oil every day to keep the bulk of dust from reaching the paper filter. I don't see a reason for using a prefilter under normal conditions though as the paper filter works well.

Donaldson precleaner, topspin not expensive. Western Filters Sydney, Blacktown list em on there web site. From memory 3'' $50. I use one now on my machinery, nearly allway's in dusty place, saves most of the dust getting to my filter @ $90 a throw. Easy to clean and you can see when to do it.
Think if I was goin into dusty places with the D40 I'd set one up on snorky.
www.westernfilters.net.au

Last edited:
I did talk to the Australian Donaldson rep last week and he said not to bother with one. He said waste of money and you are better off not using one unless extreme dust. Convoy driving he said does not classify as extreme dust, the only people he would recommend them in 4WDs for is bull wranglers in the NT.

He said the more dust on your filter the better the filter will work. Don't know how much I believe him but I did not bother getting one in the end.

True what he says about dust filtering dust, to a point. My machine ( John Deere) has an electronic monitor to warn to clean the paper filter. D40 I use a K&N oiled filter so I'm keen to limit it needing cleaning too often. Also my D40 went to the Kimberly b4 I bought it n from what I heard of it n the dust they brought back, I'd call it extreme. Spose an extra paper filter packed for the trip would do it.

Latest posts

Back