Oops - I broke it "again".

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
I went to play on saturday around the Walhalla/Thomson Dam area. I must be jinxed. This is the thrid time in a row that i've had to limp my Navara home from that district with it being broken.

My first thoughts were that I had done my Transfer case - it seemed different to the last time I broke the Navara ... but thats not the case.

The Verdick is in. It was not my transfer case that broke on the weekend, but the p*** weak front diff. And just to make sure that its broken properly, looks like the left CV as well. Parts have already been ordered (2nd hand from Niss4x4 wreckers). and there is a chance i'll have the Navara back on the road again by wednesday night.

I'm now starting to look for an older patrol GQ to use for serious off road, and keep the navara for family trips with 'sedate' type off-road conditions. A friend has put my in touch with someone who has a GQ shorty (part of a deceased estate) that already has all the right mods for off-roading.

Stay Tuned.

WOW ... i might just get lucky. My Mechanic has just pulled the diff and axles out ... i definately have broken the left axle - so am up for an axle, CV and left hand seal - but he thinks the diff could be ok ... ?!?!? fingers crossed. Diff will be pulled apart and checked through, cleaned and put back together (just in case).

With your driving style woody I wouldnt get a shorty, they roll too easy, how about not go soo hard on the d40, maybe get rid of some weight and put a lift kit in it and winch up those sections of hills that your getting stuck on rather than breaking your car, seems to work fine for me.

Kyle ... i have a lift kit in it, its just weighted down so much.

Nah, i think i'll look at a GQ, put the roof top on it and a LED light bar accross the front and some BIG tyres and then use it.

Change the Navara back to a tourer, redo the overkill drawer system and get as much weight back out of it that i can, so i'm not working the suspension so hard. I just need to except the fact that it aint that tuff for off road use and i cant follow the bigger 4x4's everywhere.

Just make sure it is still working in 17 days time!

The parts are already on the way to my Mechanic - i'm likely to get it back in FULL working order by tomorrow night.

Means i get to drive it for two weeks before i load it up with the camper trailer. But i wont be able to test the 4wd until i get to ADOS, as I dont have time to take if off road between now and then.

And after recent events, I doubt MRS WOODY will let me take it on even the simple track at ADOS during the muster. < Grumble Grumble >

Glad to hear things look okay.

Rooftop on the shorty............danger! As Kyle said - you are likely to roll the sucker!

Try slowing down my friend and taking things easy. Even in a shorty with big tyres the boot and smash style will end in grief. And we wouldn't want you to become one of those track rippers we grow to hate.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want to achieve - and if following the 'big trucks' up tracks in the same manner they go then you need a different truck.

Good luck.

What now, Woody ... save up the bickies for a pair of 9" Ford diffs and drop a solid axle on the front? That might handle the horsepower, might even handle the torque. Jim could probably give you an idea how long they'd last with you standing on the loud pedal!

so woody what sort of driving or terrain is braking the diffs??
is it just the combination of the extra weight and terrain??
just wanted to know what should i be steering clear of??

Nathan
Gnarly tracks that are slippery that you need a bit of right foot to even contemplate getting up - and then lifting a front wheel through over articulation, combine that with higher than normal revs = disaster.

The weight that i'm carrying is probably not helping either. After Xmas trip to Alice Springs i'll be ripping the whole drawer system out and building a much lighter system in the tub, the aim is to remove at least 100kg of weight from the drawer system itself, including contents. I might even contemplate removal of the waeco fridge, and only put that in when its needed - otherwise an esky will weigh a lot less for a day trip.

Also, the roof top tent will no longer be a permanant feature - it will come on and off as needed (another est 40kg removed)

The steel winch cable will be replaced with the rope type. (more kgs removed)

Basically - if in doubt, drive as far as you think you can - then dont be lazy, and get the winch cable out. Dont try to be a hero and drive through everything. You WILL end up breacking something if you drive hard with the right foot.

I notice in your signature that you have the Dynemica rope - dont be afraid to use it.

nathand22 - Woody has given some good advice and he has learnt the hard way! :sarcastic:

Best advice I can give is to drive within the limits of you and your vehicle - and don't try to keep up with everyone - and if there is a chicken track don't be afraid to use it - especially if you need your Nav to get to work on Monday.

Sounds like Woody is starting to learn .......:jester:

Latest posts

Back