oil level

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tufnav

Reaction score
Ok sounds like a stupid question I know....
If you go by the book fill the sump with oil, start it up until oil light goes out, switch it off, top up to compensate for the oil filter. Then run it to normal temp and then switch off wait 15mins and recheck. Top up if needed.

I fill mine until its on the full line when its cold is this correct?

When I took it to the dyno crowd the guy there drove in switched it off and checked oil level straight away and told me I'm low on oil.
He said oil level should be on the full line when at normal operating temp. So that would make it well over the line when cold, wouldn't it?

Could someone clear this up for me.

dyno guy is an idiot!
all engines show low oil if checked straight after switching it off.

with most engines manufactures have some extra head room to account for the usual dumb driver or forecourt attendant that checks oil before its all drained back.
however the ZD30 is not one oft those engines. its already used up all the spare headroom and filling it any further causes lot of oil to be blown out the breather.

do not overfill a ZD30 with oil. if anything under fill it a bit (ie when cold it reads half way).

Awesome, that's what I thought. Thanks for clearly that up. That guy was so dead set when he told me and i was like its spot on mate don't you worry as im thorough with all maintenance.
Well all the performance cars they mod and service there must get overfilled on every oil change. Now that's a worry.

I certainly wouldn't be getting any work done in a place where staff are unable to check oil level correctly, that's 1st year apprentice stuff !!
Don't worry, it seems you do a far more thorough job at home.

At work, I still follow my Army Driver Training days and always perform a First Parade on any Truck I drive and give about 2min after stopping the engine before checking the oil, was told always allow the oil time to drain from the upper portions of the engine.

Old habits are hard to die I guess, and I always try and remember to check my own cars oil level before its first start of the day at lest once a week.

Latest posts

Back