ZD30, new head install, cranks, doesn't start.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update.
She starts. šŸ˜
I called my fairly knowledgeable neighbour over to see if he had any suggestions, because I was at a loss. He had one, and it was a simple one.
2 quick squirts of Aerostart into the turbo while I was cranking it over, and it fired straight away.
Radiator back on, bullbar back on, and I'll take it for a test drive.

I learnt some lessons, which was one of the main reasons I took this on myself. I like to learn things, and I'm too stubborn to let big jobs stop me. But if I ever had to do this again, I'd get somebody else to do it.

Thanks again for everybody's input, it did help me carry on. šŸ‘šŸ‘

Last edited:
Glad to hear it all went well for you. No start,, are you sure fuel is getting to the pump,, allow for air in the system to be got rid of. Last ime i went down this road it was a matter of having the charger on, priming fuel, giving it a try,, coffee while charging,, try again,,, another coffee.

So i had a very similar problem, and solved it in the same way you have so far, i eventually removed the gear cover, (which i got very good at). I put on a 'new head' and it simply didn't work, it would crank till the cows come home. Eventually after trying multiple different things, earths, new starter, triple checking fuel pump was working, and loads more, including literally weeks of thinking, reading and trying, i cracked it at my Nav and took the 'new head' off and replaced it with the old head (the cracked one).
Bugger me it fired up straight away... Now my new head, wasn't, came from a wrecker.. so then i spent a few more dollars and purchased a new head from a reputable Australian dealer, and replaced the head for third time, (got real good at resetting timing gears as well). As soon as it got fuel when i cranked it, it started.

Are you sure the 'new head' you have is actually not the issue?

All my problems are sorted now. The mechanical ones anyway.
I guess after stripping it down and putting back together for a second time, it must have just been that I didn't bleed the air out of the lines properly. I really don't know for sure.
I just took it into town and back. 20k round trip, and it works flawlessly. I'll see what it does tomorrow when I go to work, 70k round trip. But I'm pretty confident that all is well ow.

Hopefully not against the rules, but I bought the head from Mr Cylinderhead in Parafield Gardens SA. All they do is cylinder heads, so you would expect a decent one.

First thing is check see if diesel coming out of injector lines. Pump the hell out of the primer bulb. I have a in-line low pressure fuel pump for just that job. Tested ur glow plugs, both in and out of the engine? Multimeter or bridge across 12 v for a couple of seconds only. Should heat almost instantly. Test the preheat relay is working using multimeter on the bridge connecting the glow plugs when ignition is first switched on.

Brilliant good to see it sorted, and that's the same team i got my good head from, i've put on over 5000 km with the Mr Cylinder head, she is running beautifully.

So i had a very similar problem, and solved it in the same way you have so far, i eventually removed the gear cover, (which i got very good at). I put on a 'new head' and it simply didn't work, it would crank till the cows come home. Eventually after trying multiple different things, earths, new starter, triple checking fuel pump was working, and loads more, including literally weeks of thinking, reading and trying, i cracked it at my Nav and took the 'new head' off and replaced it with the old head (the cracked one).
Bugger me it fired up straight away... Now my new head, wasn't, came from a wrecker.. so then i spent a few more dollars and purchased a new head from a reputable Australian dealer, and replaced the head for third time, (got real good at resetting timing gears as well). As soon as it got fuel when i cranked it, it started.

Are you sure the 'new head' you have is actually not the issue?
Where did you get the head that didn't work from ?

Latest posts

Back