D40 ST-X 550 Oil Leak & Black Smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark075

Reaction score
Hi All & thanks for allowing me to join in on this forum,
I have a 2012 D40 ST-X 550 that was blowing black smoke and I had an issue with Blow by when the oil cap is removed, I’ve since had a major service done, changed all filters and my mechanic has cleaned out the EGR and turbo. The pressure build up when removing the oil cap is worse its like looking at a boiling kettle But its oil fumes. I’ve done 300 kilometres since the service and the oil level is low not to mention the oil leaks I have. I have the upgraded Ryco catch can and the engine was re-mapped with a Roo system in Melbourne a few years back. I know its crank case pressure build up but my mechanic is telling me the rings are worn and the engine will need a rebuild. I was hoping I could get some information on what else can be done before I head down this road as this option is going to cost a bit of money not to mention the time off the road to have it done. If anyone could help, that would be fantastic and thank you in advance.

Excessive blow-by is often rings, but sometimes they're not worn they're just stuck.

An option you could try is the Rislone stuff from Supercheap (below). It's designed to unstick rings, although I've never had a cause to use it so I don't know how effective it woud be. Still, at the price, it might be worth a shot especially if it saves stripping the engine down.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...ion-repair-with-ring-seal---500ml/347475.html

Have you tried removing the filter from your Ryco catch can and seeing if there is a reduction in blow-by?
I was of the opinion that these engines are pretty fumey to begin with. I know mine is and always has been since I have owned it.

I’m just a little skeptical that you need a rebuild. Was a compression or leak down test conducted?

I would remove your catch can filter first and check if there is any difference. Potentially clean your oil leaks up at the same time and see what happens with your oil leaks that you have. Put a couple of thousand km’s on it then check to see if your leaks have changed. Also top up your oil if you believe it to be low. I have found that there is a large difference depending on which side of the dip stick I look at.

Hope this helps.

Wide bore tolerances in modern engines are commonplace, it is done to reduce friction and so improve economy.

This does increase crankcase pressures and oil consumption, some of those German cars use up to 1 litre per thousand Ks.

I'm not sure why you would remove the oil cap with the engine running anyway. Also a bit curious that you have paid for an egr and a turbo clean. The only way to clean these (apart from snake oil in the fuel tank) is to remove them and manually clean them .
The EGR is a couple of hours to remove and refit, the turbo is engine out.

Beware catch cans on these motors
If they don't have a relief valve and the filter blocks I would expect to see a few leaks appearing.
I have ended up taking my catch can off and with the EGR cable on it I am not seeing any build up in the intake.
Yep it breathes heavy but it uses about 2 litres between 7 to 10k km
That tells me that the oil is getting past its use by date by 7k and I change it.

Excessive blow-by is often rings, but sometimes they're not worn they're just stuck.

An option you could try is the Rislone stuff from Supercheap (below). It's designed to unstick rings, although I've never had a cause to use it so I don't know how effective it woud be. Still, at the price, it might be worth a shot especially if it saves stripping the engine down.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...ion-repair-with-ring-seal---500ml/347475.html
Thank you Tony for your response, I’ll give it a go.

Latest posts

Back