oil dripping out between the gear box and engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippet

Reaction score
hey guys

i have oil dripping out between the gear box and engine is that my rear main seal leaking or some thing else

if it is the rear main how hard is it to change?

Welcome to the forum!

It's been reported in this forum before as the main seal. Flywheel has to come off, which means the engine/gearbox have to be separated. It's not a 5 minute fix, but I don't know what they'll charge you for it.

Dion said:
If you have to ask, the answer is 'pretty hard'.

Don't scare him haha. Basic mechanical idea and you'll get it done. You'll need a couple hands for getting the box out.

A quote from a mechanic wanted $900+ for a complete service including the rear main and a few other things.

When dropping everything for the rear main you may as-well replace a few other things whilst your at it depending on your kilometres.

My rear main was leaking but not as bad as yours sounds if it is dripping out. I got some degreaser to try track down the leak and found it was not as bad as I thought. It looked worse due to the oil splatter from rain+winds from driving and dirt ect multiplying the small amount of oil slowly dripping out over time.

Best bet is to get some degreaser and see if its as bad as you think, if yes go to a trustworthy mechanic or mate and ask what should be replaced when going to the troubles. Or even upgrade and sell the originals ect.

Yeah, while you're in there, replace/upgrade a few things while you're at it. I know I'd replace my clutch if I had to do the main seal. May as well get them to pull the front off and do the timing chain as well.

If you got the monies to replace/upgrade, I say do it.

Back