not engaging in 4x4 mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyb9999

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im not mechanically minded so dont jump down my throat. Went 4x4 the other day with a mate who also has a navara d40. He has a 2009 stx model. Half way along the beach, when we hit the softer sand, he went to engage 4hi mode, however it would not engage and the light just kept flashing. Neither of us knew what to do, subsequently, i had to snatch him off the beach as we only had rear wheel drive. Ps same thing happened when we put it into 4lo. Would love to know how to fix this prob incase it ever happens to me, since i go off the beaten track alone by myself.

Auto or Manual???

When it comes to beach driving I suggest been in 4H from the very start.

Anyway The D40 are an intering set up to say the lest. When going from 4high to 4low and back in both Manual & Auto you need to stop put the gear box in N wait then go to 4low wait for light to stop flashing then get back into gear. As for what happen to you mate going from 2wd to 4wd ant stright up. Shift on the fly still takes it time to engage completey. They don't like it when the back wheels are at different speeds to the front, problem with sand as you never really know when you need 4wd.

4HI will almost always engage unless there's something wrong with the servo (no signal to it - broken connection - or failed servo) or the ABS system has detected a problem.

I'll pull the plugs off the transfer case first, clean and reinsert. See what that does. There are fuses and relays involved (under the bonnet) - see what the plug does first.

4HI will almost always engage unless there's something wrong with the servo (no signal to it - broken connection - or failed servo) or the ABS system has detected a problem.

I'll pull the plugs off the transfer case first, clean and reinsert. See what that does. There are fuses and relays involved (under the bonnet) - see what the plug does first.

The only problem I can see with shifting on the fly, this will affect the d22 as well if you are driving with the front hubs locked and try to shift on the fly, that is driving on sand.

If you start out in 2wd and try to shift without the front and rear axles going the same speed, the ecu will lock the shift out so it doesn't damage the transfer case. In the d22 the gears will just grind if you try and shift it when they are not moving the same speed... Because the front wheels are being powered by road speed and not gearbox speed, obviously on soft sand if the rear wheels are spinning they will be moving at a faster speed than the front wheels, so as you mentioned, the ecu will detect front and rear wheels moving at different speeds and refuse to shift into 4wd....

As for beach driving, the beaches near where I live are very soft so I go into low range to start with. There's nothing wrong with starting in high range and shifting to low if the engine starts laboring too much...

What Bogs said. If you read the manual it does state about the not shifting with wheels spinnig freely.

Back