Nissan Bull bar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan_b

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a brand spankin new D22 to be my hunting/fishing/camping car and I want a bullbar up front.

I know I want a steel one and have heard the standard shocks are rubbish after fitting a bar.
anyway I have two questions

1. is the genuine bar anygood? >>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-N...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4604311d08

2. what are the ramafications of self install regarding warranty, insurance, airbag etc.. I know I will check with my insurance company anyway later.. But i'd like to get a good idea without having to talk toanyone from aami

Cheers
Shan

Welcome to the forum.

The standard bar used to be made by ARB, and probably still is (it's the "ARB Commercial" bar). It's a good bar, it's compliant with ADR. It's steel, stops roos at reasonable speeds and makes other drivers who would normally pull out in front of you think twice.

The problem isn't so much in the shocks, it's the springs. The bars are heavy and if you add a winch, add 40kg to "heavy" to get "bloody hell it's bolted to the ground" for many, or just "here's a free hernia" for others. Standard springs are designed to carry the lighter standard vehicle and make the ride feel smooth. Adding any significant weight makes those springs sag rather badly.

Your shocks are only there to dampen the up-and-down motion - they do not support weight. Extra weight does affect the performance of the shock a little, because the shock is trying to overcome the inertia of the weight of the vehicle - the more weight, the more inertia. On corrugated roads, a heavy vehicle will cook standard shocks in no time at all - you need a good shock absorber with a high heat dissipation rate to deal with this, something like the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sports. Tough Dog also make a large bore shock that is supposed to dissipate heat well.

The Tough Dog shocks as I have just put in are a big bore 41mm foam cell shock, I think these are the only type on the market in this size.

Thanks guys, especially Old Tony.

When i said shocks I did mean suspension as a whole. I will choose my words better in future.

I keep hearing the same things so I think I'll bite the wallet lightening bullet and get a good 2 inch suspension lift and bullbar installed all together.

Guess I'll start ringing 4x4 places today!

Thanks for the help guys, its nice to know i'm on the right path

I called in at TJM in town looking at driving lights for my bar, and the bloke there said that the Nissan bar I had fitted was a TJM bar not an ARB bar as out of town 4WD told me when they fitted the winch.......... Now im confused

By the way I bought a set of 220mm Britax XRay halogen lights........... Spot and spread, and not a bad set of lights, and fitted nicely in the bar with the lenses behind the front of the bar.........

Attachments

• copy of IMG_0193.JPG
    copy of IMG_0193.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 120
I brought a new d22 str around 4 months ago and had the steel bullbar fitted from dealership,I do alot of traveling through western nsw and have hit 3 Roos in that time and bar has worked well on all occasions, I do think that old Tony is right about suspension mods and I am about do mine in the next couple of weeks.

Never had any problems with my genuine steel bar except the finish is fading alot. I also upgraded my suspension at about 40,000km- best thing I ever did!

Has anyone fitted and AB bumper with a 3" body lift? Does the body lift cause any other problems or is it still a straight fit?

3" body lift really :/ dont do that if your driving on the road.
Ever stood on stilts cause thats what your doing to your car

qqc d22

My truck came with a 3" body lift and 2" suspension lift, but I'm thinking about removing the body lift but havent quite decided either way.

Im looking at an ARB bumper but not sure if it will fit with the body lift or not, any advice?

gen steel bullbar

I put the same bullbar on my d22, at first when fitted it was stock suspension and it lowered the front by about 2 inches, then i bought some tough dog heavy duty torsion bars and big bore form shocks. The bullbar stuffed my standard shocks it was to heavy, but with the new front end the car has completely changed, you cant even feel a bump in the road now, so much lighter on the steering wheel and now front is more even with the back. I would recommend buy them before fitting the steel bullbar to your standard vehicle. From standard Navs have absolute crap suspension fitted to them anyway, you wont regret the upgrade.

S14 Panda,

Thanks for the info, Ill look into the suspension upgrades first. - As an aside its supposedly against some obscure EU Law to sell ARB commercial bars in the UK, something to do with not being allowed to strengthen the from of your vehicle????

Do you have any pictures of your truck as you were fitting your bull bars? or fitting instructions for the bars?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Guys,

Ive managed to source an ARB bumper, and I've had a look at the brackets and other bits and bobs in the box, but I think the front couple of inches of my chassis rails has been trimmed when my truck was lifted, does anyone have pictures of there front chassis rails so I can check if mine have been altered or not.

Still trying to source new torsion bars and shocks before fitting the bumper though.

Thanks in advance for your help guys

Andy

Latest posts

Back