Steering lock stop caps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumo

Reaction score
OK, just did the first bit of work on my "new to me" 2008 Navara D22

When leaving the house in the morning, horrible grinding sound when leaving the driveway at full lock.
Found similar comments on the forum here. Sounded like the steering stop caps were worn out, or missing, and needed replacing.
I found some official Nissan steering lock stop caps on ebay, here is the link if anyone wants it GENUINE Nissan Navara D22 Steering Lock Stop Caps Set Of 4 | eBay
The set of four was $26.50

Easy job, took about 10 minutes to do all four of them. Even a chunky guy like me was able to slide under the car and do it. No need to jack it up or put it on a hoist.
I found the previous owner liked to put a ton of grease on them...over and over again...the build up was tremendous.
Now she as quiet as can be, no more nasty looks from neighbours with that grinding sound.
I have included an old vs. new picture.

Thanks again to contributors who post, and answer questions. Makes fixing things like this possible for relatively non mechanical people like myself.

Attachments

• 20220319_192300.jpg
    20220319_192300.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
OK, just did the first bit of work on my "new to me" 2008 Navara D22

When leaving the house in the morning, horrible grinding sound when leaving the driveway at full lock.
Found similar comments on the forum here. Sounded like the steering stop caps were worn out, or missing, and needed replacing.
I found some official Nissan steering lock stop caps on ebay, here is the link if anyone wants it GENUINE Nissan Navara D22 Steering Lock Stop Caps Set Of 4 | eBay
The set of four was $26.50

Easy job, took about 10 minutes to do all four of them. Even a chunky guy like me was able to slide under the car and do it. No need to jack it up or put it on a hoist.
I found the previous owner liked to put a ton of grease on them...over and over again...the build up was tremendous.
Now she as quiet as can be, no more nasty looks from neighbours with that grinding sound.
I have included an old vs. new picture.

Thanks again to contributors who post, and answer questions. Makes fixing things like this possible for relatively non mechanical people like myself.
Your a legend, will be ordering some tomorrow 👍
Cheers
FishermanAllen 😉

They do a great job at stopping that crunching sound for sure. Though I found it was a never ending job replacing them, they wear out so quickly. Haven't had them on for many years, I just grease them occasionally which seems to do much the same thing.

Year a friend at work also has a Navara similar age to mine. He just uses grease as well. Some others on the forum have used table leg caps from Bunnings. HE also told me it will be a frequent repair. The previous owner had such a build up of old grease, I sw3ear it was like a golfball on the end of the bolt

Latest posts

Back