New Navara ST Grade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy everyone, ive just signed up. i have a st d40 manual on order at the moment. Originaly i had the stx on order, but i had to sort out my tax first. As this was being done the st came out. According to the dealer (main north nissan) the st does not have the chrome mirror with the indicators, or the ability to lift up both sides of the rear seat ( only one). it is also made in thailand, not spain. i should pick it up at the end of january, fingers crossed! .... great site btw!
james

Welcome to the forums jayk. You will be one of the first with an ST on here if they get it to you by the end of Jan. Good luck with the purchase

Welcome aboard!

When you take delivery, let us know how the thing behaves. The STX D40 manual (like the auto) has a lot of lag down low, but pushes really hard once the turbo kicks in. This has the unfortunate consequence of eating clutches - maybe, being Thai-built, it will be more like the D22, which is much kinder in that respect!

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I am going to be towing my tandem tipprt work trailer that weighs about 1500 kg empty with the ride on at the front of the trailer. towball weight is about 250kg, so i needed a rig that had a high rating. i know that i will have to get some suspension work done though. doing google searches i saw that auto navs where quite thirsty, so thought the manual would be better. i will probably get a dp chip ( if they are the best?) to try and improve the turbo lag, and hopefully protect the clutch a bit more.
.. dnt know if the dealer was just being a dealer but he did say the thailand built navs are put togethor a tad better than the ones made in spain.
james

Auto Navs aren't so thirsty that they should be discounted, and if you're doing some heavy towing, the auto seems to be preferred by dealers & caravan sellers, including Geoff Dutch, a Newcastle truck body manufacturer who now also builds the Travelhome fifth wheelers.

With that much weight on your towball I'd look at a load leveller (I use one, with my 1800Kg caravan = 180Kg ball weight, or 10% of towed mass). The load leveller helps push the weight back onto the front wheels. Stiffer suspension won't do this - in fact, stiffer suspension will only help make the front wheels lighter, and in the wet that can spell disaster. (please note, this is to help everyone reading - you may have experience towing, but you didn't say you were using a load leveller).

Higher-rated rear suspension is essential anyway, and you may be persuaded by the suspension people to look at air bags - don't discount them immediately, many people say lots of good things about them.

As for whether Thai ones are better than Spanish - who knows for sure until we sit several side by side and go over them with fine tooth combs. Nissan will provide specifications to the factory and the factory has to adhere to those specs. It doesn't matter if the factory is in Thailand, Spain or sitting on a rock on the top of the Andes ranges in Brazil. The vehicles ought to be very, very similar.

There's a thread hereabouts somewhere regarding the DP chip. Don't jump in and buy one until you've had a good read of it ... click here to read the thread.

I just remembered something important: if you are using load levellers, don't use the genuine Nissan hitch, get them to mount a Hayman Reese hitch. They bolt on differently - the Nissan might take 3,000kg, but won't take the twisting effect the load leveller places on the hitch.

Last edited:
thanks tony, yeah i asked for a haymen reece style with the load leveller and a height adjustable hitch its going to be fitted by tjm ( hope they are good!). i would prefer to get air bags, but ive heard a few bad things about them on other 4wd forums, do you use the airbags? just a tad confused which way to go!
james

I don't use them - yet. I had some in my Commodore, really helped the tail out.

So far, with the tub as loaded as it'll get and the caravan fully packed, my Navara behaves beautifully on standard suspension. In the back I have my Engel fridge, some tools, folding chairs, generator & fuel. Not much - but all essential!

well, i picked up my new beast this afternoon. I love it already! i am getting the towbar fiited next week after the 1k service. will hopefully have some picks up soon!

Congrats on the purchase, must have been a hell of a wait considering your first post said you were expecting it at the end of January.

Just had my 2007 STX manual written off due to hail damage, I was that happy with the Navara I ordered a ST auto. The ST had bluetooth and audio controls on the steering wheel included, but no fold up rear seats... And was cheaper, BUT!!!!!
The autos have a DPF where the manuals don't. The DPF collects all of the carbon particals and when the filter is full you MUST drive the vehicle for a prolonged period of time above 80kms to clean the filter. Failure to do so will force the vehicle into LIMP mode and it then needs to go back to Nissan to be repaired and the engine oil changed! Caution, the DPF has only and will only be used over about a 16 month period and the new models after June 2010 are not suppose to have a DPF fitted. The DPF is required on the auto ST navara's so as to meet Euro 5/6 specs. I didn't accept delivery of the auto and will be taking delivery of a manual in two weeks. Good luck

The DPF is only as scary as you want it to be. There are thousands upon thousands of DPF fitted engines in the world from huge industrial engines to the common old CRD Nissan engines and they have been in use for well over a decade now. Sure a few problems have arisen but that still no reason to assume they are all as bad as some of the press out there.

Sure you MUST drive the car at 80ks with higher revs if the DPF is full but in 95% of cases this is done automagically and the driver wont even know the rengen process is happening. If the automagic system can't regen yes it's up to the owner to know and understand the signs but lets face it thats what manuals are for. There is also more to the Nissan repair that just towed back and have an oil change if these signs are ignored, but once again they have to be ignored and if they are then who's at fault Nissan for fitting a DPF or the owner who was ignorant?

Obviously it's your choice to choose one vehicle over another based of whether it has a DPF or not but in the real world DPF's are becoming so much more a part of diesel engine construction and to suggest Nissan are only going to use them for 16 month period only when nearly every car manufacturer is using them doesn't seem to have much cred (but please feel free to provide more cred if it's available).

I support your right to have a decision on this matter but there is no real mechanical justification behind the theory that the DPF is a bad idea if treated as it should be treated. There is also a thread elsewhere on this forum dedicated to the DPF which those reading this thread in the future might get more information (both sides of the camp) from.

Welcome, have a look at my garage, I have an 09 ST, it should give you an idea what the differences are, not much really, you get side steps, steering wheel audio and bluetooth control, cruise control, 6 stacker, colour coded mirrors, only real differences are cosmetic.

Hi - I've just got one myself (three weeks ago) and the kit you've outlined is correct. Ordered mine with canopy, bar, tow kit, driving lights. Tyres are Grand trek AT-20's. Just added the tubliner and really enjoyingit. Drives well so far.

The autos have a DPF where the manuals don't. The DPF collects all of the carbon particals and when the filter is full you MUST drive the vehicle for a prolonged period of time above 80kms to clean the filter. Failure to do so will force the vehicle into LIMP mode and it then needs to go back to Nissan to be repaired and the engine oil changed! Caution, the DPF has only and will only be used over about a 16 month period and the new models after June 2010 are not suppose to have a DPF fitted. The DPF is required on the auto ST navara's so as to meet Euro 5/6 specs. I didn't accept delivery of the auto and will be taking delivery of a manual in two weeks. Good luck

I've only just noticed this, wasn't paying enough attention obviously! I want to clear this bit up ...

Yes, the auto has a DPF. As Krafty pointed out - it's not as scary as some might think. The DPF goes through an automatic regeneration without even letting you know about it. The DPF light only comes on when the regeneration cycle has not been able to run and the filter is still filling up.

When the light comes on, THEN you need to drive meeting these criteria:

* engine must be under a light, constant load only

* engine temperature must be in the "normal" range

* engine rpm must be at or above 1600

If you ignore the light for long enough and the DPF fills further, then and ONLY then will the ECU switch the vehicle into limp mode, which restricts the rpm to 2,000 at most.

You actually have to be driving quite out-of-the-ordinary to get the thing into limp mode. If you're off-road and this happens, you can still get the engine rpm up with the light load - just change down the gears. I think it was either Pete or Jeff from here that had to do this, with success.

Don't fear the DPF.

I have been comparing the ST against the new ST-X & using the Triton for comparison.
I was disappointed to see that the ST & ST-X both still have drum rears instead of discs & no restraint points for kids seats (ST only) where as the Triton has both plus more.
In the end it came down to presence, looks & price.
The ST-X is fast getting into wagon territory and competing price wise with Pajero's, Patrols etc albeit at some lower specs but start adding the fruit and your up there.
The Triton GL-R was comparable in price to the ST when taking the ABN into account, yet as good as the Triton is, I HATE the way it looks when I see one on the road & thats just in passing, it would probably drive me crazy if I had to look at it all the time.
Ok it might have grown on me over time but warts do the same and you dont really get used to them either do ya?
End result, the ST is a pretty good buy, the fruit I will add over time and I will be ordering mine soon.

Just on those drum brakes ... since 70% of your braking power comes from the front, it's really the fronts that do the real work. Disc/drum rears are really inconsequential.

I'll give Mishitbus some credit - they have occupant safety in mind and are getting decent ANCAP ratings with their utes, but I also don't like their appearance. The Triton (and the Hilux) also have towing capacities that don't meet my criteria. I need 3T, and they're 2.3T to 2.4T (can't remember which is which, I'd take a stab that the Yota is 2.4T).

While our kids are grown up, we definitely wanted child restraints - because one grandkid is here already and he's just the cutest little guy.

I agree rear drums suck, They fill up with mud and grind the linings away.

Can't wait to test drive an Amarok!

Latest posts

Back