New member Doug.S .. 2007 D40 ST-X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Doug.S

Hi all, Only had my D40 for 2 weeks and have 2 questions!

I live near Cairns in Nth. Qld. and am looking for a nice silver canopy. Prices here are way over the top!

I have a 6 speed manual and when the clutch is depressed, the is a small rattling noise. Does anyone know what it is and can it be stopped? The car has only done 24,000Ks.

Thanks, Doug

Welcome to the forums

There was a silver canopy on ebay last week from somewhere in QLD not sure where abouts though.

My advice on the clutch is don't use it. sure there might be some grinding but atleast you know what that noise is about.

Actually thats probably not good advice but welcome anyway

Hi Doug, welcome to the forums.

I'd be getting the dealer to check the clutch, was it doing it before the 20,000 service?

Good advice Krafty Haha

Welcome Doug.

Thanks I do my best, but I am going a bit brain dead now (which is why the advice is so good). I've spent too long today deciphering someone elses coding. Thank god it's nearly time to pull the pin

Welcome doug.
The sound might be the spigot bush or thrust bearing on the clutch, highly unlikely though as its a new car and it might just need some greasing up.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The clutch could be a little worn. If the previous owner drove it like a normal car - riding the clutch and giving it a rev - the higher torque developed by the Navara's motor would rip through the clutch in no time. These things need to be driven a little differently - don't apply large amounts of power until the clutch has been completely released. In truth, they could probably stand to have a sturdier clutch.

I'd go back to the dealer. It should have factory warranty on it, you'd think.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The clutch could be a little worn. If the previous owner drove it like a normal car - riding the clutch and giving it a rev - the higher torque developed by the Navara's motor would rip through the clutch in no time. These things need to be driven a little differently - don't apply large amounts of power until the clutch has been completely released. In truth, they could probably stand to have a sturdier clutch.

I'd go back to the dealer. It should have factory warranty on it, you'd think.

I dissagree, these motor make very little torque off idle and the only way to prevent stalling is to slip the clutch.

Not like your average car though - you don't rev it out to 3000-3500rpm and ride it ... these things are developing decent torque at 2000rpm, so perhaps I should have said "... give it a hard rev..."

I should take more time to post. Yes, I really should. Although sometimes it logs me out before I finish!

I dissagree, these motor make very little torque off idle and the only way to prevent stalling is to slip the clutch.

I disagree, mine is the perfect car to learn manuel in, it never stalls no matter how fast you release the clutch without giving it throttle, and i have also heard before these motors do have a lot of torque down low by a couple of mechanics but iv got no proof myself to back that theory up, only my own experiences with off roading.

I disagree, mine is the perfect car to learn manuel in, it never stalls no matter how fast you release the clutch without giving it throttle, and i have also heard before these motors do have a lot of torque down low by a couple of mechanics but iv got no proof myself to back that theory up, only my own experiences with off roading.

The D40's are extremely different mate, with good of power comes lots of turbo lag from low revs. Mine stalls very very easily. It really does take a little while to get used to. If on a slight hill you have to get the revs up to get the turbo spinning or you will either stall or send out a James Bond smoke screen.

The D40's are extremely different mate, with good of power comes lots of turbo lag from low revs. Mine stalls very very easily. It really does take a little while to get used to. If on a slight hill you have to get the revs up to get the turbo spinning or you will either stall or send out a James Bond smoke screen.

Fair enough, i should really remember every car and driver are totally different, my mates 2.8l turbo diesel gu patrol is totally opposite to mine, stalls very easy, have to use brakes going downhill in low range and same for going uphill, he needs to rev it to get going.

have to use brakes going downhill

And in a D40 Auto, if you're going down a hill and you apply the brakes, the car shifts down and engine-brakes for you, doing a reasonable job of maintaining the desired speed as long as the hill isn't too steep.

I gotta say, there are some aspects of this thing I am stunned by.

Clutch rattle

Wow! Thanks for all those replies gentlemen. At first I thought it was a little bit of a diesel rattle whilst idling but on releasing the clutch in neutral the noise stops. The actual clutch operation is perfect, just this annoying little rattle when its depressed. Also it seems to be worse when cold.

Silver Canopy

Thanks for pointing me toward that canopy on eBay Krafty, I'll go check it out.

Doug

I've heard the D22 has a normal feel, I can ensure you my D40 has the worst clutch/ 1st gear take off I have ever driven.

I've heard the D22 clutch has a normal feel, I can ensure you my D40 has the worst clutch/ 1st gear take off I have ever driven.

I can vouch for how car-like the D22 is - the one that my dealer lent me was great, I didn't push it too hard, but driven normally the thing felt hardly any different to your average vehicle.

There's a distinct lag in the D40 though. When the traffic lights go green, the thing literally feels like you need to attach pedals to it, then at about 1500rpm the turbo decides it's time to play. It's not a graceful thing if your foot is down hard - it's a great big lurch forward as the thing makes bucketloads of torque and it feels almost as if you've been kicked by a giant prehistoric Turbonasaurus Rex.

In contrast, driven gently, it's as smooth as you'd expect in a decent family car.

Latest posts

Back