New car clunk

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
Hi all, so I picked up the brand new car (STR D22 4x4). Nice. Question - when pulling out of a driveway (backwards) or doing a full turning circle I can hear a clunk/creak underneath the front (near the wheels) as I turn on full lock. Is this normal 'wearing in' of front joints etc? It sounds a bit like it's scraping over something but I know its not.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I mechanically stoopid?

All D22's do it, it's the steering stops. A new car should have nylon caps over the steering stop bolt heads, which stop this. They do wear out and can be replaced or you can just smear some grease on them. There's 4 stops, one in front and one behind each control arm.

Hi there, i picked mine up 2 months ago and it did the same thing. I called the dealership and they knew exactly what it was. Some grease on the stops and it was all fixed....makes you wonder why they didn't just do it to start with

best thing is to not quite turn on full lock especially if there's a bump there ;)

Oh my. That gawd awful, emabarrasing D22 clunk/ grind. Great design nissan FFS.

Clunk

Thanks Nakedape,

Would you mind eloborating? Is that normal for all new D22's? What is it due to? Is it mechanically a concern or just an annoying noise? Cheers.

Its more than likely the steering bump stops. Without them the D22 will bind up the CVs when on full lock. There's usually a nylon boot on them - but they wear off all too quickly. Jump under the truck and you'll see the stops.

Bloody awful sound - particularly in car parks.

Latest posts

Back