mounting winch on factory bull bar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
just wondering has any got a factory bullbar with a winch mounted in it.the reason i ask is a friend has a bullbar and wants to mount a winch but it looks like it spools off from the top' is this right cheers

I was under he impression all winches spool off the bottom of the drum.
I had to rotate my clutch housing to allow it to be accessible from the holes provided.
Old tony has a factory bull bar with a winch mounted if you want to check, but as far as I recall his like all others will be off the bottom

Mine spools from the top.
Factory bar with 9.5 Kingone winch.

Mate if we're you I would ring somewhere like opposite lock and check that!
I was told and have since read several articles where it's states they should be ALWAYS wound on from the bottom as winding from the top can cause excessive amount of strain on the drum due to the location of the fairlead, meaning the rope has to run through it then go up hill and over drum.
I bought my "KINGONE" "Avenger" winch from OPPOSITE LOCK and they clearly told me to do it that way, BUT I have a ARB bar so it may be different??

As said above is dose put more strain on the winch. In saying that most if not all factory winch bars are set up that way including Toyota. At my SES shed we have both a RX D40 stock winch and a 05 rol-lux with stock winch bar. And they both mount winding from the top(upside down). My super-cheap winch on my tjm bar mounts right way up. The ses ones don't get used as often as most 4wders.

Just checked mine again and looking thru the fairlead rollers it lines up with the top of the drum. Does this mean the drum is mounted lower on factory bars or the fairlead is mounted high. Either way as long as it lines up ok, it should not be a problem IMO.
By the way, my winch was installed at my local 4x4 shop. I'm sure he would know how to install them correctly, but I'll still ask next time it's in for a service.

Just checked mine again and looking thru the fairlead rollers it lines up with the top of the drum. Does this mean the drum is mounted lower on factory bars or the fairlead is mounted high. Either way as long as it lines up ok, it should not be a problem IMO.
By the way, my winch was installed at my local 4x4 shop. I'm sure he would know how to install them correctly, but I'll still ask next time it's in for a service.

Im not trying to be a smart arse or say you installer doesnt know his job, just saying what i have been told and what i have read.

Have a look at this link and it tells the story of a brand new rope failure, due to the rope going over the drum and not under, there is also a few diagrams to illustrate possible problems.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/winchline/winchline-6.htm

No offence taken.
I agree, if the cable/rope doesn't go in straight ( no deviation) onto the drum it will cause problems. It happened to my brother when the smash repairers reinstalled the winch upside down. Broke has rope. Back it went for brand new rope and repair again.
It must come down to mounting positions on different manufacturer's bull bars.

What have others got??

No offence taken.
I agree, if the cable/rope doesn't go in straight ( no deviation) onto the drum it will cause problems. It happened to my brother when the smash repairers reinstalled the winch upside down. Broke has rope. Back it went for brand new rope and repair again.
It must come down to mounting positions on different manufacturer's bull bars.

What have others got??

You are correct. Something to do with the design of the factory bull bar. Only way to mount the winch is upside down Still works fine tho

Latest posts

Back