Manual locking hubs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevodevo

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 2012 D22 has the manual-lock free-running hubs. I managed to find a thread about the pro's and con's for running in the "lock" position 24/7, but I must confess to being a 4x4 noob and am still a bit confused by the concept.

I'm assuming when you turn the hub to the lock position but have the transfer case gear shift in 2H, only the rear wheels are supplying power? Then engaging 4H or 4L will engage the front wheels as well? That's what's confusing me... what's the diff between:

Hubs = Free and Transfer Case = 2H

or

Hubs = Lock and Transfer Case = 2H

The manual says never engage 4H/4L if the hubs are in the free position. What happens if you do that? Just thinking about what would happen if some a-hole decided to be funny and change them while I'm parked at the shops. Also thinking what actually happens if they put one on lock and the other on free?!?

A few questions there... hopefully it'll click in my mind soon. Sorry if it's already been answered. I don't have my search mojo working on this forum yet.

Thanks,
Steve

you use more fuel with them locked, not really any advantages, its just turning the front differential, the manual states your meant to run them locked for a few km every 3 months but I don't and never had any problems.

You can use low range in 2wd if your are towing something really heavy up a hill, will save your driveline alot of strain, no issues there as long as the hubs are disengaged.

Last edited:
I think something *may* have clicked into place in my head after I typed out the question. Not sure if I can explain this without knowing all the correct terminology but is it something like this?

With the hubs in the free position, they basically free wheel - right at the wheel itself. By moving to the lock position it engages a shaft between the wheel and the front diff, thereby allowing said shaft to be driven when you engage 4H/4L?

By running 4H/4L with the hubs in the free position you're basically powering the whole drive train all the way to the front wheels but they don't get any power because the hubs aren't locked?

I think I may have been confusing myself by think the drive shaft is only the shaft that runs front to back... either that or I'm still confused which is quite likely? :dummy:

Correct.

A mate (and ex-nissan mech)has an '02 D22. It's been driven its whole life with the front hubs in the locked position because he uses 4wd frequently and is to lazy to get out and lock/unlock the front hubs. He's never had any problems doing this.

also UK d22's doesn't come with free wheeling hubs. nissan had to make a new front prop shaft because they keep wearing them out.

by having hubs in all the time you increase fuel cost, wear out the front drivetrain (prop shaft will need regular greasing) and ad wear to the front tires.
i can tell that hubs are still locked because its a bit slower to drive.

with some of the toyotas we gain about 1l/100km by fitting free wheeling hubs.

Cool. Nissan recommend driving the first 500km in free 2H. After that I'll give it a go running in free coz I won't be off roading all that often. I prefer the thought of being able to bang it into 4WD whenever I want without getting out of the cabin, but I'll take the fuel savings over the minor inconvenience if it works out that way.

we use 4x4 a fair bit. normally drive with hubs out and when you get to site but the hubs in and they stay that way until the trip home.

Latest posts

Back